Laying plastic UG drainage

I usually estimate the layout fairly well, even measuring once in a while. Where there are intersections I too often find myself having to pull the joints apart again to cut the pipe for a better fit. Is there likely to be a problem if I take out the sealing rings for a trial fit, then put them back for the final? TIA

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Have you tried lubricating them? You can buy a small tub of silicone grease for push-fit fittings and then they glide in and out with ease (actually, too easily -- make sure the joint friction isn't key to the pipework stability, because it will be pretty non-existant once you've greased it;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To handle this problem I lubricated the rings with washing up liquid.

The pipes are then removable for a while for fitting etc. but then the liquid gets washed away with water on both sides and they stay in place

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks, I use washing up liquid and it's true, lubrication does ease the fit.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

When I use this method, its ok for a once and for all fit but if there's any jiggerypokery needed then the fairy or grease picks up dirt and grit. That's why I'd like to do a dry fitting first, without the seals, so that mods can be made before the final lube and fit. It's just a question of the ease with which the seal can be pulled out and refitted. I thought I'd ask first rather than finding myself with an evenings work or a duff connector.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

When putting the seals back I would wash the seats well and douse the seals liberally in silicone lubricant.

Reply to
G&M

Yes, the seats, being recessed, are the problem area where dirt and grit are concerned. It wouldn't do to leave any in there and they're slightly awkward to get at. All in all though, I think it's the preferable method for my way of working.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack