Asphalt driveway estimate usually includes excavation?

-------------------------------------

I am interested in having my driveway repaved with new asphalt. I have not started to get estimates yet but before doing so, I am wondering if the estimate usually includes excavation costs. Can anyone tell me? I hope this will help me determine if I should completely repave or simply resurface.

Thank you.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16960 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
dvs

Generally you tell the guy what you want, and he gives you an estimate. You want excavation, tell them. Not rocket science!

Since you don't have any idea what you need, ask an expert who has seen your driveway and can tell you what you need.

And DO NOT POST FROM THE SPAM COMPANY web site!

DO NOT USE THE SPAM COMPANY WEB SITE!

Reply to
PeterD

First step would be to investigate why you need new asphalt. Has the old one broken up due to some defect in the base? Failed at the edges due to lack of kerb restraint?

A good company would provide a brief description with the quote. A typical spec for a new driveway (in the UK) would include the following. Asphal is normally called Tarmac in the UK.

  • Excavate to reduced depth of at least 200mm below finished level (350mm below dpc) and cart all spoil to licensed, off-site tip.
  • Excavate any soft spots in sub-grade as required and dispose.
  • Supply, lay and compact minimum of 100mm of DTp1 crushed stone sub-base material to falls and levels.
  • Supply, lay and compact 50mm of 20mm dense base course bitmac, and 25mm of
6mm hardstone bitmac wearing course to falls and levels.
  • Clear all site of debris and rubble on completion and make good.
  • All Tarmac to comply with BS 4987

See also..

Cwatters

PS:

DTp1 is a UK Department of Transport standard for crushed stone. Best is limestone but other materials such as recycled concrete can comply.

Reply to
Cwatters

Reply to
jloomis