Ontario Building & Plumbing Codes Simplified

I'm going to be doing some renovations in my home and would like to make sure I do everything to code (I live in Ontario, Canada, so this would be the Ontario Code). I'm currently reading thru the "Electrical Code Simplified - Residental Wiring, Ontario Edition" book (it's the yellow book ...) and it's wonderful, just what I need to rewire the house (with the help of an electrician).

Now I'm hoping to get similiar information about the Ontario building code ... I'm not building a house, just need the simplified version of it ... R values, drywall thickness, stud size, etc. Is there an "Ontario Building Code Simplified" type of book that I can purchase, if so what's it called. If not, what's the best way to learn the basic code to help me renovate some parts of the house up to code (preferable without spending a couple hundred on the actual code books)

I'm also interesting in a simplified version of the Ontario plumbing code, since I'll be moving some plumbing around in the kitchen when it get's renovated.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

Hi Harry -

I'm also in Ontario----

I am not aware of any books for the building code or plumbing that are similar to the Electrical Code Simplified.

You really should get a copy of the OBC (Ontario Building Code) which covers MANY aspects of residential construction in Ontario, including plumbing, fire safety, etc etc.

The OBC is not really THAT technical that an intelligent person would be unable to figure out what is required to meet code. In many cases you can figure out what is required by reading the OBC and talking to some of the more knowledgeable staff at you local hardware/building supply store.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing website also has a good amount of information and suggested methods for residential housing/renovations.

In addition, you can check the NRC (National Research Council) web site for construction methods and information on a variety of residential construction methods and materials.

Good luck,

Doug Taylor

Reply to
Doug B Taylor

Reply to
Okoidogo

I'm thinking I'm just gonna fork over the money for a copy of the "Illustration Guide to the Ontario Building Code". I'm assuming it's going to be easier to understand than the "Ontario Building Code" book. Has anyone used the "Illustrated Guide" before? Is it good? Online it mentions it only covers section 3, 7, 9, and 11 of the Building Code, which sections are those?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

Harry, the Guide to the OBC may not be what you think it is. Unless you have a copy and a good understanding of the OBC it will not be a lot of use to you. The guide is intended to compliment the OBC and essentially illustrates and explains various sections and subsections that may not be clear in their meaning and intent as written. The guide is a useful publication, but only if used in conjunction with the OBC.

Harry Muscle wrote:

Reply to
Waldo

Section 3: Use and Occupancy Section 7: Plumbing Section 9: Housing and Small Buildings Section 11: Renovation

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

S.Allard had written this in response to

: Harry, did you get any value out of the Illustrated Guide to the Ontario Building Code? I may be interested in buying if you are finished using it.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
S.Allard