A good building book!

I'm planning on building a house in the next year or so and would like to be involed in the construction. I would like to pick and choose what I want the lastest and greatest in. The foundation for example is one area where I want the best technology put to use, the area in Eastern Ontario where I'm putting the house seems to have alot of problems with basements. Is there a layman's book for picking material to build a house, something that gives advantages such as longer life and disadvantages such as not proven?

If there is no such book, where would you guys put your money and what areas of the house would you upgrade (from usual construction) and why?

It's a wet climate with snow, ice! Very similair to the north east in the US.

Thanks,

Reply to
Cosmo

, where would you guys put your money and what

energy efficiency

Reply to
kickstart

Reply to
tbasc

Canadian Home Builders Association Builders' Manual, Energy & Environmental Building Association publications, Builder's Guide to Cold Climates from Building Science Corporation, Journal of Light Construction are all useful. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Check these places out:

These will get you started.