Patio Door Advice

I need to replace three ancient aluminum sliding patio doors. I think they were never installed propoerly (about 40 years ago) and two are leaking.

I would "like" to put in quality wood french doors with divided lights, but can't afford it right now (I'm doing a big remodel on an old house I just bought and there are too amny other things to spend money on right now).

I am thinking about buying some "composite" sliding patio doors from Home Depot. Brand is called "Master Piece." Here is a link:

They are only around $450 for a 6' by 8' including handle, lock and floor bolt. These things look a lot better than anything comparably prices (when they are in the store). They have a solid, chunky feel to them like wood, doors glide easily in their tracks, hardware looks good etc.

Has anyone bought these? How do they perform over time? Does the outside surface hold up to the elements? Has anyone painted the inside? If so, did the paint stick or peel off? Do they leak? Does the sealed glass unit stay sealed? Any other problems?

I'm not really sure what is menat by "composite" in this context. The slaesman said it was "like" fiverglass, but couldn't offer any more information other than they ahve been selling a lot of them. The outside looks like vinyl, while the inside looks sort of plastic, but not as glossy as final, with a wood grain and feels a little like the sawdust, resin mixtures they use for decking. Overall, not a bad look and more liek wood than either "traditional vinyl" or steel.

Please spare me the posts telling me that I have to bite the bullet and spend a lot more money - its just not in the cards right now.

Reply to
2LeftThumbs

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 16589 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DaveRave24

I don't know about that brand, but I had a similar issue with an old patio door. Are these doors on a concrete slab? Because, if they are not, you might want to check the framing underneath them for damage. I replaced my old patio door which was on the second floor leading out to the deck, and the framing had rotted out significantly. I had to do a major repair to the floor joist to support the new door.

Just something to keep in mind.

Reply to
rlz

I don't know about that brand, but I had a similar issue with an old patio door. Are these doors on a concrete slab? Because, if they are not, you might want to check the framing underneath them for damage. I replaced my old patio door which was on the second floor leading out to the deck, and the framing had rotted out significantly. I had to do a major repair to the floor joist to support the new door.

Just something to keep in mind.

Reply to
jloomis

Pation? Is that a positive or negative Pat-ion door you have there? I guess it's like a right or left hand. Installa? You sound like an Italian contractor. :)

Ice & Water Shield, or other self-adhesive, self-healing membrane, is pretty much industry standard with such installations.

RicodJour

replying to RicodJour, Jenny Jenkins wrote: My advice wouldd be to get a new ppatio door. Ii tried repairing mine time and time agian, but it always ended up broken again three weeks down the line. Shop around. I got prices from all the major companies and smaller companies like Conservation Construction. I ended up going with a new door and i haven't had any problems since.

Reply to
Jenny Jenkins