Small plastic box for car keyfob?

You could look at the range of Really Useful Boxes (go to *their* website) but I don't think they have a suitable tiny one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Look around where they sell little boxes and tins of mints, gum, and sweets -- you might get lucky...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

A tin might not be the best idea for an RFID... (unless you want to have to remove it each time)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yeah, tinfoil hat, as it were.

There's some sort of gum that comes in a plastic flip-top thing in ISTR vaguely the right size. And there was some sort of odd oval film from, er, the 90's? APS? that may or may not have had suitable film canisters. I googled, gave up, und gave some sort of vague handwaving advice instead ...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Seems to me my idea is *way* simpler and more elegant. ;-) Can't you buy a soft cover on line for your model?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Might another option be to "build up" the key around the buttons so that they become more recessed, so that they can't so easily be activated by squashing?

I've not had this problem with my keys (Honda/Renault/Vauxhall) but in each case the buttons are fairly well depressed before they activate.

Reply to
newshound

We are talking about the distance a car remote works so only a few yards and I don't leave the windows open for hours just a few minutes before we set off, any one wishing to take it would be doing so in full view for most occasions and to drive it would need a means to start it. If they were planning to remove it by other means such as lifting it that the windows are open would be irrelevant. Anyhow I don't go through life worrying that some car thief has made their way to this quiet country village and is hanging around on the off chance that I might decide to drive out at any random time and lower the windows so they might be able to access the car and remove it from our drive without a means to start the engine .

One of the advantages of not living in a populated or pikey area or being paranoid.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

But doesn't the car lock itself again? If the doors aren't opened within n minutes of the unlock signal mine relocks.

Reply to
DJC

Probably - but the boot does not shut itself after it's popped open. Whoever thought boot remote control was a good idea was a berk...

Also, as others have said, some cars (like mine) will drop all the windows if you hold the unlock key long enough and they don't reset either.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Volvo leather key cases are 75x45x20 approx. and £6.50 from China

BYGCSE

It may be possible to find a different car make with the same design.

Reply to
therustyone

Have a look at Maplin, clip shut rather than screws might be a show stopper.

Or wear loser trousers, tight underwear/trousers are not good for your ba^Hits.

The only problem I have with the fob for my car is that the "panic" button feels the same as the "unlock" or "boot". "Lock" is raised, "lights" has a little pip.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only a few yards? Mine'll do 50 at least, old car was much less maybe

  1. > Anyhow I don't go through life worrying that some car thief has made

Your thinking deliberate rather than opportunistic. These keyless systems aren't as secure as one might imagine either but I think you need the electronic version of "a big screwdriver".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think it does a lot more than 10 but from our lounge window to the car is about that.

If you have got that whether the windows are open or not is probably irrelevant . In fact seeing the windows go down would indicate the car is not completely unattended and a potential witness and nowadays highly likely to have a camera facility on them is about to appear.

To be honest the scenario I was describing where we lower the windows a minute or two before setting off on a hot day and the poster one of the Tims suggested it may no longer be there because it had been nicked in those few minutes is what I was replying to . If somebody really wanted the car in those circumstances they would have a better chance of waiting for me to appear with the fob duffing me up to get it and driving off having used the FOB in the normal way of inserting in the slot. Of course they would have to fight me for it and though a big bloke I'm realistic to know if they wielding a knife or gun then over resistance might not be wise .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It seems very location dependant. My old car has an aftermarket system with an external aerial. In the country it will work for better than 100 yards. In London, sometimes not close to the car every time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The London effect may be due to more RF around. A Rover I had would not unlock when parked outside a shop with neon lighting. The shop owner switched off the signs then all was well. Never parked close to that shop again!

Reply to
Capitol

Well known problem in Portsmouth a few years back. Harder to get the Royal Navy to turn whatever was emitting the interfering RF off as well. I think in some cases the recovery services called in by the owners no longer wasted time trying to unlock the cars and just lifted them to an area beyond the interference.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Might be worth knowing just where the aerial is located. Maybe inside the appropriate module. Moving the transmitter closer to that might work. Or maybe not. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you think, that people don't steal things, just because they are in full view

I assure you it happens frequently (relative to the number of thefts, that is)

tim

Reply to
tim...

as long as ther're wearing a Hi-viz jacket, nobody will chalenge them.

Reply to
charles

We aren't talking about things that will include phones,laptops, handbags , clothes and all sort of small quickly removed items, This discussion is about cars which cannot be removed by a toe rag rushing past a cafe table and lifting a small item as they do so and disappearing out of sight amongst a crowd , down the tube or away on a skateboard.

You can keep up scenarios to justify your paranoia as long as you like, it's so quiet here that only about a dozen people walk by a day and most of them are people I know walking dogs with anybody else standing out. Nottingham Knockers get seen off before they even get to the door.

Now if I wish to I can after lowering the Windows relock the doors . The only difference between that and leaving the car locked with windows up as a car is normally parked is the thickness of a glass window, in both situations the would be thief still has to get past immobliser and start the car to take it away wether they gain access by a window I have opened or one they have smashed. The tiny chance that they have the means to do while I am a few yards and if I were to see them approaching and entering about 15secs away is a risk I am happy to live with , it is far less than leaving it completely unattended for hours on end in a car park where if a thief was so desired they could just smash the window and then get working on starting it .

Life's too short to worry about the bogeyman getting you all the time although I suppose some people have to live in areas where they need to worry, others just worry because they have an ism , OCD or something.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg