netbook connectivity problem.

It is about 4 feet from the router. my wifes iphones and stuff connect ok.

I am sure it is a simple fix if I kew what I was doing.

Reply to
ss

Does the netbook have an Ethernet port and if so, have you tried connecting it to the router directly OOI? (sorry, not followed the entire thread).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes I tried that and no joy.

Reply to
ss

I have just looked out my old laptop (winxp) at least 12 years old and never used for at least 5 years, it connected up straight away on wi-fi, so might try and follow the settings on that and attempt to mirror them on the netbook.

Reply to
ss

Sure that's not your ethernet interface? (which was showing as unplugged in an earlier screenshot, the wifi interface was connected)

Reply to
Andy Burns

See my latest post as now comparing setting with an old laptop. Not sure if it makes any difference.

Reply to
ss

comparison between netbook and laptop settings.

ss

You haven't given the netbook a gateway, give it 192.168.0.1 without that it can only see stuff on your own network, not the internet

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even worse you've given your netbook the IP address 192.168.0.1 which will clash with the router!

give it e.g an IP address of 192.168.0.123 and fingers crossed it doesn't clash with something else

really you ought to find an IP address that's not in the router's DHCP range and not already assigned to something else, but life's too short ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't seem to have a default gateway setting on the netbook and you would need one if you wanted to 'get out' of your local network (and you do).

You could set the default gateway on the manual settings (to

192.168.0.1) before you do and see what happens though.

However, setting the interface to manual can mask other issues so it might be worth putting it back to automatic (DHCP).

I think it may have been mentioned upthread that some old WiFi interfaces may not work on the new Hubs (VM particularly). Do you have a neighbour, family member or Internet cafe that would let you test the Netbook on their WiFi?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

192.168.0.1 is the address of the VM router and is manually assigned in accordance with John Rumm's post at 1733. Try changing it back so the address is assigned by DHCP and the default gateway matches your old laptop.

If that still doesn't work & you haven't already done so check the firewall settings are the dame

Reply to
Robin

But when it was on automatic, it wasn't getting a dhcp addr, so it was inventing an apipa addr which was no use, so I'd say get it working on a static addr first.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well spotted.

How about .28, as long as the Laptop isn't on (as that works)? ;-)

He could download and install a copy of Advanced IP Scanner on the Laptop and (easily) see what else is out there?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

try 192.168.0.50 for your IP address, and 192.168.0.1 for the DNS entry

Next check that the router itself actually has connectivity - browse to

192.168.0.1 in Firefox or Chrome. Login using the credentials on the label on the router.
Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I saw that.

Other than if you don't know what you are doing, setting things manually can mask a whole load of stuff (like a disconnected cable / WiFi)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I need to call it quits for tonight as been at this since 4pm and my head is buzzing. I will try again tomorrow. My apologies if it appears I am going around in circles but most of the terminology and abbreviations are foreign to me and I am having to google to try and stay on track.

Reply to
ss

Turn DHCP on so it gets the correct IP and gateway from the router. The ones it has won't work as it has the same IP as the router.

Reply to
dennis

I'd say don't try going back to dhcp/automatic settings (yet!)

manually configure the netbook

ip address = 192.168.0.123 subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 default gateway = 192.168.0.1 primary dns = 8.8.8.8 alternate dns = 8.8.4.4

see if that works first ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

DHCP was initially on, it didn't work.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It can be a nightmare, especially if it isn't 'your thing'. ;-)

I would try to get some baselines to work from.

1) With your netbook wifi networking properties set to 'Automatic', can you successfully connect to any 'other' WiFi networks?

If 'yes' then it's likely an issue / compatibility issue between your Netbook (WiFi card / driver / OS / firewall / stored settings) and your VM Hub (/settings). There was a default setting in the VM hub (I used mine in Modem mode with a different Router) that could impact some older WiFi cards.

If no then it could be a fault somewhere within your OS / hardware. Booting a live Linux USB image may help to isolate the hardware from the installed OS. [1]

(Same applies to WiFi / Wired)

Be careful to not confuse local connectivity (where you first get valid IP addresses for the Netbook and Default Gateway) via DHCP (or put them in manually, if it's a DHCP issue) and then see if you can connect to your router (192.168.0.1 in your browser) with failing to connect to anything outside your local network.

If you can't seem to connect to your router from a browser, try opening up a command prompt and typing:

ping 192.168.0.1 (return)

On this XP box (running on a Mac Mini) I get (my router is on .02)

C:\Documents and Settings\Mac>ping 192.168.0.2

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64 Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

Is good, whereas this wouldn't be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mac>ping 192.168.0.3

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Ping can show a connection when a browser fails for various reasons.

Cheers, T i m

[1] If you don't have a LiveUSB / DVD image I thoroughly recommend to get / make one as they are ideal for Go / No-Go testing hardware and in situations like these. If you have a USB stick (8-16G should be fine) you can download something light, like the latest version of Mint MATE (32 bit) and 'burn' it to your PEN stick. Stick it in the netbook, reboot and get up the boot menu (sometimes F12 or similar) and choose the USB stick. If all is well, you should get Linux running from that and will often detect your WiFi / Ethernet automagically.

T i m