Problem installing sound bar

I received a Yamaha YAS-107 sound bar to connect to my Samsung UE46S8000U TV, It should just be a simple job of connecting an optical cable or an HDMI one. I have tried both, but get no sound output. Something is working as the TV display the volume setting of the Sound Bar when it is adjusted. Any suggestions please?

Reply to
Broadback

Not all HDMI sockets SEND audio, as opposed to receive it

Also you may have to set the TV up to send the audio to HDMI rather than internal sp[eakers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's your problem, right there; "Samsung". Take it out in the garden and burn it.

Oh, mine does that, too. It lies.

I can't even get my Samsung TV (spit) to reliably connect to my Samsung (spit) sound bar, so I would suspect you're f***ed.

Reply to
Huge

You might need to enable HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel), but wouldn't expect to need that unless an HDMI amp was sitting between TV and sound bar?

settings on TV to enable the S/PDIF or switch between optical S/PDIF and coax S/PDIF?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can you see the optical signal? Usually a red laser.

Have you checked the TV menu for audio out options?

I'm not sure an HDMI *input* on the TV would send out audio from the TV - unlike some SCART used to do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe also enable HDMI CEC (aka bravialink/verialink/aquoslink/anynet/etc depending on manufacturer)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Samsung kit isn't all that bad. They make very fine SSDs.

Are you sure it isn't a setting hidden deep in the menu of little passages all alike to enable optical output or audio on HDMI out?

I used a cheap external DAC to allow my TV to talk to the hifi. They no longer provide line audio outputs these days on most TVs.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On my Sony TV there's a setting to tell it you are using external sound.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I didn't mess around with HDMI or optical, just plugged my (Which "best buy" Yamaha soundbar)into the TVs output jack socket and it works fine.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

All good advice in the other posts, but I failed totally to connect my Panasonic sound bar to the replacement Samsung TV. Presumably one (or both) are smart enough to refuse to play with the competition. PITA as I had built a nice table for the DVD and PVR to stand on, which hid the base unit and all the wires.

Reply to
newshound

First make sure you are using an HDMI that supports ARC (Audio Return Connection) - not all do. Often its HDMI 2

Next you need to go to the sound output settings on the TV and select HDMI/ARC rather than internal speakers.

The sound bar is probably preset to accept ARC - but check its settings

- I know I had to do some tweaking on my Yamaha RX1060 processor.

Lastly I found that quite often that is still not enough - I got to the situation where my LG TV was looking like it should be sending, and the amp looked like it should receive and still nothing. I had to turn on the data communications[1] over HDMI on as well. At that point it all sprang into life.

[1] different makers have different names for this like auto link symlink etc. They seem to support at least a common subset of features.
Reply to
John Rumm

You just haven't fiddled with a sufficient combination of input sockets, output sockets, cables and settings yet :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some can, but its a facility (ARC) that needs turning on usually.

(It can get quite confusing what is going where when you have a AV map in the middle and DVD/Blurray one end, TV the other trying to work out what is sending sound where!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not that I would buy one. Once bitten, twice shy.

Quite possibly, but among the oh-so-long list of its failings is that there is no manual, so there's no easy way of finding out.

Reply to
Huge

More than enough to exhaust my patience, though; and I am normally pretty thorough about searching such things. I would have Googled too, but I can't recall what I found.

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Yes this is right. somebody was telling me that the only sound bars which he ever had no problems with were Sonos, but I'd imagine there is some trick to design to make them preset to the default. I find it very amusing and I know we slagged them off, but scart leads tended to switch things in a sensible way when plugged I. The new hdmi and optical cables seem to support the policy of I/O confusion, tater than any thought out sensible default! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think toslink allows anything clever like that? And that is the most common audio output from a TV these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Natural Philosopher

To be honest, I would not be so hard on Samsung. the problems are endemic. Ask Bixby. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It can talk to you though. Brian

Reply to