Problem installing sound bar

Fair enough.

We moved from a 28" CRT to a 40" LCD and now to a 43" which is big enough for us. We don't need 4K either (especially at that size), but at the price, we thought it a good idea to future-proof, just in case we end up with some source that is 4K only in the next few years.

If we had another room specifically for TV/Audio, we would probably have gone considerably bigger.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Oi remember when 13" was big...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Invented by the French, who are good at cheese :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Audio Return Channel !

Reply to
Andrew

My Samsung has an optical output and a headphone jack.

I just connect the headphone jack to the Line in socket on my Onkyo Dab/FM radio with the 3.5mm jack connectors.

Works fine.

Reply to
Andrew

There is an e-manual built-in to my Samsung TV. There is even a button on the remote control.

Or you can get a PDF version from their website.

Reply to
Andrew

Have fun getting a 4K, or even an HD signal into the TV via scart though :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Richer Sounds 'new improved' website (for the phablet brigade) has lost much of the product detail that the previous website showed when you clicked on detailed description.

And it now seems to download vast amounts of data before you can use it.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes. I don't remember the TV from when I was a toddler (just photos), but do remember the massive wooden box with a 16" screen which was our first colour TV (a Decca bought non-functional for £5 and repaired by my dad) and the physically smaller, but 22" screen B&W TV in the front room. I later had a 15" colour TV in my bedroom, which ended up my living room when I bought a house. The 28" one was a replacement for that.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've never looked at Sonos kit, but a good reason not to buy from them seems to be that they are planning to send out an update in April to deliberately brick the oldest Sonos devices ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

13"? Either that screen had shrunk or your brain has.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

... is the grotesque pricing.

What!?!?!

Kinda. But this;

"users will not be able to opt out of Sonos collecting their product type, controller device type, operating system, software version information, content source, signal input, Wi-Fi antenna information, audio settings, product orientation, room names (as assigned by the end user) and whether you?ve used the Sonos Trueplay technology to tune output."

And you can't opt out.

Fuck that noise.

Logitech Squeezebox works just as well, is much cheaper and is Open Source. OK, the kit is obsolete, but still widely available on eBay, and there are ports to RasPi now. And it doesn't spy on you.

Reply to
Huge

No, this ....

You can reject the bricking update to the old controller ... but then every other piece of Sonos kit you own stops receiving updates.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our first TV was a 12" at the time there was a joke Q: Which TV does EIIR prefer? A: Philips 12"

Reply to
Martin

;-)

TV arrived in my part of Scotland rather later than elsewhere. My father had already seen it on visits to London on business. And realised it would be a very good way of getting out taking the family to a cinema once a week.

Since there was no TV in the area, little chance of buying a used set in those days. So we got a new 17" RGD. Cost 59 gns.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

we had a Pye in 1950 with a 9? screen and enormous wooden cabinet which was taller then me

-
Reply to
Mark

In message , Mark writes

My grandparents had one of those about then. We kids used to get on the bus after school to go and watch Hopalong Cassidy and Tex Ritter!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Is that legal? I guess so, it's their ball, so you have to play by their rules.

Yep, works very well, also at least one player for Android and several control apps. So get a cheap Android tablet and set of speakers/amp and away you go with a nice big colour touch screen interafce or remote control.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice