replacement TV advice

I cannot receive a decent terrestrial signal so am connected to Freesat via a dish. I also have a sound bar and a Humax. It is fine but overly complicated to use. If I am not around my wife has problems. Is there any where I can get unbiased advice on the way forward please? I would like something, TV wise, like the the Samsung 52 inch we have.

Reply to
Broadback

Could you clarify if you currently have a Freesat TV or is your TV a Freeview one connected to a Freesat Humax box?

I'm sure there are many who read both newsgroups, but just in case there aren't, you might get more answers reposting in uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Sorry, it is a freeview connected to freesat via the Humax

Reply to
Broadback

dump the sound bar

Reply to
tim...

We recently bought a Panasonic (only 43", I think) which has an intergrated satellite tuner. Makes life very simple. We also have a sound bar connected to our kitchen tv. No user action required, turn on the TV and the sound bar comes on, too. Connection via HDMI

Reply to
charles

that would simplify it a little, but the TV sound is atrocious.

Reply to
Broadback

Broadback snipped-for-privacy@j-towill.co.uk> wrote in news:rnub27$fhk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm not a fan of the user interface on Humax freesat boxes but actually believe that you aready have the best of a bad job in terms of setup, usability and maintainability. Switch on Humax, switch on telly (connected via HDMI) and it all boots up to a channel display screen, viewing options available by 'guide'. Soundbar will likely power up itself if HDMI's back to the telly or manually turn on by button press or remote if not.

If you go for a freesat telly I don't know that the UI will be any better and you will have to go back to the Humax to schedule recordings, poss more complex rather than less.

Could 'follow-me' instruction with the missus every time you set something up be a solution?

Reply to
Peter Burke

Odd, isn't it? Regardless of how much you pay for a TV, it has crappy internal sound. To make it nice and neat - no speakers showing. And then you add a hideous sound bar...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

So it sounds as though this numpty has set it up incorrectly.

Reply to
Broadback

or you link it up to your hifi ;-)

Reply to
charles

Which Humax box is it?

I've had a couple, I can't recall the specifics but I prefer our 1100s to the prior one.

Reply to
R D S

Then you have to wait for the valves to warm up :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Trade her in for a younger model ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I have a Samsung TV (UE42F5000AKXXU), a Humax HDR Fox T2 PVR and a Pioneer X-CM56/X stereo system. All are linked. The Humax does the tuning, its HDMI output goes into the HDMI 1 input socket on the TV. The sound output from the TV goes from the headphone socket to the audio input on the Pioneer. I don't receive satellite, nor do I use a sound bar, but I imagine the set-up would be similar.

Provided the TV is set for HDMI-1 input via the 'SOURCE' button on the TV handset, when it is switched on it automatically receives from the Humax PVR.

Provided the Pioneer is set to 'Audio' input, when it is switched on it automatically receives its sound from the TV output.

I use the Humax handset to switch on and off all three units - the Panasonic TV, the Pioneer Hi-Fi and the Humax itself. The Humax manual tells you how to input the codes into the Humax handset to get it to control the TV and Hi-Fi. It only controls a limited number of features on both TV and Hi-Fi, but On/Off and volume are all you really need, which it does, although all I use is the On/Off.

Hence, the Humax handset controls everything: On/Off on all three units, volume and channel via the Humax. No other controls are needed, at least not by me.

You don't say what model of Humax you have. It's possible the handset on yours it isn't as versatile as that for the HDR Fox T2. Similarly, it may not be possible to control the sound bar from the Humax controller, even if the Humax you have can control other devices. But the simplicity of use, using the Humax controller for all three devices and hardly ever needing to use the Panasonic or Pioneer handsets, must surely make it worth investigating.

Here's an image of the HDR Fox T2

The row of four 'white' buttons across the top select which device the handset is set to control. Pressing a button selects the device.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not a problem here as I had radio in every room anyway. So just link the TV sound into that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Does it have a default to start the TV on the HDMI input? My Panasonic allows me to select a start-up input.

Does your wife think the sound is bad - or is it only you?

Reply to
JohnP

so check out the sound in the shop before you buy the new tv

Reply to
tim...

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

My large screen LG set has OK sound for most of what I use a TV for. I did have a sound bar on its predecessor, a much bulkier plasma set, because its sound was so difficult to follow.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

tim... has brought this to us :

Our last few sets I have bough online, better to research online reviews of the audio.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Would you accept a picture that is 'merely OK' on an expensive set?

The sound quality is 'ok' on my large screen panasonic if your standards are set by a 10 quid portable radio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News