Cable TV signal drop

Hi there,

I am subscribed to cable and I have a TV for every damned day of the week. I would like to hook cable to a TV that I have in a hobby wood working shop in my back yard. The shop is aproximatly 120 feet from the nearest available cable splice. Can I just bury Coaxial cable from the house to the shop...or will I lose the signal from running so far?

TIA for any answers.... Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Hi, Jim Go ahead and do it. I doubt it'll affect picture quality. Cable signal level is not equalized well and every channel has different signal level. Use good quality coax and connectors. If indeed you have too much loss, then you can buy a cheap signal booster at RS and use it. Tony(Calgary) P.S. Stormy there too, today? Been shovelling snow all day.

Jim & Lil wrote:

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The general rule as I understand it is that if your split the signal from the input source you will be fine. If you split it at the end of an existing run you will lose some quality. In my experience the loss over 50 foot is not enough to notice. If you lose twice as much I bet you won't either.

Reply to
Colbyt

Yeah Tony....snowing like no tomorrow .........I'll be burying this cable in a snow bank before too long... cars in the ditch everywhere...heard four ambulances go down #1 highway this afternoon hrs apart for different accidents.... people gotta learn to slow down for road conditions...I'm staying close to the home front and having a skotch.....Thanks for the response....Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Depending on how the splitters are wired up for those other "every day of the week" TV's, you'll get different results depending on where you "taqp in". Simple electronics rule for RF signal loss through passive splitters: Every split is -3.5dB of signal. 2-way = -3.5 each leg, 4-way = -7.0 dB on each leg (think of it as a 2-way with another 2-way on each output port) and if you happen to have a 3-way in the mix somewhere, it will have one leg identified somehow as the "low loss" output (-3.5) and the other two outputs will be -7 each.

The point of all of that? You're going to lose a lot of signal over that long run, so you don't necessarily want to tap in at the *nearest* point, which might have 2 or 3 splits before it. You want to go the extra footage and get all the way back to the *first* splitter available. All of your other sets will likely not see another 2-way if you need to add one for your new feed, and you'll be sending maximum signal down that long run to your woodshop. HTH.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

By the way, a satellite installer told me that the "gold" Radio Shack cable accessories are indeed better if you are doing a lot of splitting. For what it is worth.

nearest

house to the

Reply to
Art Begun