w TV

Just got a new smart TV that has 3 HDMI input jacks. HDMI 2 is marked ARC for Audio Return Channel.

When I connect the TV to my good quality home theater receiver whose main HDMI output jack is marked ARC, should I use the TV's HDMI 2 ARC or the default HDMI 1?

No other devices are in the setup-— just the TV and a 5.2 home theater receiver.

Would there be any sound or control improvements using the TV’s ARC vs. non-ARC input jacks?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Perhaps this will help...

ARC-HDMI isn't about sound quality, it's about multiple devices all routing their audio through a single device to eliminate individual cables having to be run between them.

i.e. if you connect your sound system to the TV's ARC-HDMI port, and you had a Xbox, a Roku box and a cable box, you could connect them all to your TV and all of their audio would go through the TV and out to the sound bar/system through that one cable.

IIRC, any device that has an ARC-HDMI port can act as the "hub". Since it sounds like you only have 2 devices, it doesn't matter which HDMI port you use on either device.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Great, thanks. That clears it up for me!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My home theater receiver predates ARC, but has an optical digital input jack. My new 4KHDR TV has an optical audio output jack. I've used it to accomplish the same thing. My DVD player, cable TV box and Roku are all plugged into the TV's HDMI input jacks. Audio output from which ever input is selected on the TV goes via the fiber optical cable to the receiver. Works like a charm.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

If you mute the TV, does it mute the optical audio output?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Depends on which remote I push the "mute" button. If I use the TV's remote, no it doesn't mute the optical audio output and I still hear audio through the speakers. But it does mute audio output at the 3.5mm analog audio jack I use to connect the base unit of an analog "TV Ears" wireless headphone. I recall having to change some audio setting on the TV to have the audio outputs behave that way. I very rarely use the TV's remote and don't even keep it handy.

The way I have my setup wired and configured, if I hit the mute button on either the Comcast xfinity remote, or my home theater receiver (HTR) remote (which I also rarely use and don't keep handy), it activates the mute on the HTR and there's no audio at any of the speakers in my 5.1 setup. I like it that way because when I mute the speakers with the Comcast remote I still get audio at the TV Ears for which ever TV input I've selected.

My volume control functions also vary depending upon which remote I use. If I use the volume control on the Comcast remote or on the HTR remote, it changes the volume setting on the HTR and my speakers get louder or softer but it doesn't affect the volume level at the TV Ears. If I use the TV or Roku Streaming Stick+ remote, it changes the volume of the TV ears but not the speakers. I try to set that analog audio output level such that I have good control over the volume of the headphones by using the volume control wheel built into the headphones. If I have the TV's analog audio output set too high, even the lowest volume setting on the headphones is too loud. If I have the TV's analog audio output set too low, when I crank up the volume on the headphones, there's lots of hiss.

It took me a while to get things functioning the way I wanted. I use the power button on the Comcast remote to turn on both the TV and the HTR. With all the different devices and their individual settings menus and their individual remotes, the options of HDMI-connected devices controlling or not controlling other devices, etc. I consider it similar to opening the door on a high security safe that has 5-6 100 digit dials. There's only 1 right combination that works. You devices may have different behaviors and different options in their settings menus. Takes a little experimentation and usually a lot of patience.

Reply to
Peter

AFAIK *no* TV mutes it's optical output. That sucks for my wife.

She has hearing aids that use BT from a proprietary device that connects to the optical output. That way she doesn't have to blast the TV speakers. I can listen comfortably and so can she.

Unfortunately, she has to listen to the commercials and other crap while I can mute it. She would have to lower the volume to 0 on her hearing aids, which is a pain to do at every commercial.

We record most stuff so we can skip the commercials, but some things (e.g. news) she watches live.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We also record everything except for news so we can FF through commercials. Saves 15-20 minutes/hr of viewing time unless you're directly tuned into the HBO channel where there are no commercial breaks.

I assume you're feeding your TV's optical audio to a home theater receiver. If the receiver has a line audio output at an RCA jack, you should check to see if that output signal is also muted when you mute the TV. If so, you can buy RCA analog to toslink converters on line for less than $20. It may be worth the $ to try one. Use the converter between the receiver's line output and the toslink cable from the proprietary BT transmitter for your wife's hearing aids.

I use the reverse type of adapter on a small tv in our kitchen. I use an inexpensive toslink to RCA adapter to connect a second set of TV Ears because that TV only has a toslink audio output or internal speaker option (no headphone jack) and the TV ears can only connect via RCA or

3.5mm cable. Works like a charm. My wife (with normal hearing) uses the TV ears when she's working in the kitchen, watching/listening to the TV and not disturb me in a nearby room.
Reply to
Peter