OT. EVs and Hurricanes

The author wouldn't want to be surrounded by EVs in a natural disaster.

We have a blizzard here in Nebraska now and then but I don't think it's nearly as dangerous.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Depends on the natural disaster. We mainly get tornadoes. As you know, that means "hunker down in the basement", not "hit the road and see if a tornado can lift your car into the air".

And the odd ice storm or big snowfall.

Honestly, I can't figure out why people want to live on the coasts, but I'm glad they're not all here in the middle.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Guess that most are happy where they are. I live in the middle of North Carolina. About 4 hours or less from the ocean and 2 or 3 hours to the mountains. Winter is not too cold most years and most summers are not that hot. This year it is unusual, lots of 90 to 90 deg days but not

100.

Snow is only a few times a year of 2 to 6 inches if that much but I have seen 12 inches about 5 times in 50 years.

No bad tornadoes to speak of in the area.

Very happy here but the damm yankeeys are moving in and the house prices are going up more than the wages for many.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Off-topic troll...

Reply to
Jack Webb

Off-topic troll...

Reply to
Jack Webb

See also these Jake Isks (aka John Doe) troll nym-shift names:

John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header John snipped-for-privacy@post.header Judge Dredd snipped-for-privacy@post.header "Edward's Mother" snipped-for-privacy@post.header "Edward's Father" snipped-for-privacy@post.header Edward Hernandez Loves Porn snipped-for-privacy@post.header Edward Hernandez Smells Funny snipped-for-privacy@post.header Jack Webb snipped-for-privacy@least.com

Jake Isks (aka John Doe troll) claiming it has never nym-shifted on Usenet:

In message-id <t6nt3e$7bp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me
posted Thu, 26 May 2022

12:50:54 -0000 (UTC) John Dope stated:

Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 76.9% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET.

** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope has posted at least 3730 articles to USENET. Of which 176 have been pure insults and 2691 have been John Dope "troll format" postings.

The John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Dope troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Fri, 05 Aug 2022 01:43:30 GMT in message-id <6B_GK.1199383$ snipped-for-privacy@usenetxs.com).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that John Dope does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

Ygi+uQbRadyI

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

See also these Jake Isks (aka John Doe) troll nym-shift names:

John Doe snipped-for-privacy@message.header John snipped-for-privacy@post.header Judge Dredd snipped-for-privacy@post.header "Edward's Mother" snipped-for-privacy@post.header "Edward's Father" snipped-for-privacy@post.header Edward Hernandez Loves Porn snipped-for-privacy@post.header Edward Hernandez Smells Funny snipped-for-privacy@post.header Jack Webb snipped-for-privacy@least.com

Jake Isks (aka John Doe troll) claiming it has never nym-shifted on Usenet:

How stupid is the John Dope troll?

The John Dope troll posting one of its vacuous insults at 05:39:20 UTC on 20 Mar 2022 with a grammatical error:

Then, at 05:55:56 UTC, 16 minutes and 36 seconds later, the John Dope troll responds to its own post with a correction, but stupidly forgets that it sets a Followup-To: header to the "alt.test.group", resulting in its correction article posting only to "alt.test.group":

The John Dope troll, mister " snipped-for-privacy@message.header", is so stupid it does not even remember it sets a Followup-To: header in its own vacuous insults.

Special thanks to corvid snipped-for-privacy@ckb.ird for pointing out the stupidity of the John Dope troll:

The John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Dope troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Fri, 05 Aug 2022 01:43:02 GMT in message-id <GA_GK.1199346$ snipped-for-privacy@usenetxs.com).

NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that Troll Doe does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters.

+M638fe0VUir
Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Yeah, we have a good variety of weather here. It's only 1500 miles or so to the coasts if I want to see sand and water. Actually, it's maybe 40 miles to the Platte River which is supposedly a mile wide and an inch deep. One of the most destructive storms I've seen was in the spring of 1976. Snow and ice took down a lot of power lines. It was three or four weeks before everyone had power again. A good thing did come out of it. The telephone companies had incentive to bury their lines. There were a couple bad storms this spring. Hail and wind ruined crops, some bins, and took down a lot of irrigation systems. A nearby town has a lot of roofers doing their thing. No safety belts. One crew had the big sombreros like you see in the old western movies or tv. Population here is declining gradually. There were about 80 kids in my high school class long ago. The latest graduating class of the same school district had around 35. Farmsteads are abandoned then eventually bull dozed under. The little towns supported by those farmers are shrinking. Monowi, NE has just one resident.

I bet these look familiar. The main streets must've had one planner. Brick layer must've been a good paying occupation.

Dean Hoffman

I read Wendell Berry on and off to get a nostalgic feeling about a fictional place I never was but wish I could have been.

Reply to
rbowman

There were 700 in mine.

OTOH, the town in western Pa. that I grew up in had 50,000 people in

1955 and is down to 25,000 now. The elementary school I went to, one of several in town, had at the time 3 sections of each grade 1-6 of 30 kids each, is now rented out to some Christian something. The junior high is now a grammar school, complete with its indoor swimming pool, and the high school where my brother went is now a junior/senior high.

---- BTW, the HS is only 4 doors from where my grandparents lived and where my father lived at least the last part of when he was in high school. Before that, they lived on the south side in a much poorer n'hood. He graduated HS in 1909. My grandfather was born in 1865, but died well before I was born.

Doubled! So it's the fastest growing city in America!!

Reply to
micky

The Catholic Boys high school I went to had 3200 students in the early

1960s. Just looked it up and now 800, bout the size of my graduating class.

Our tuition was paid by the parish we came from. Not sure how it works now but tuition is $9400/year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And I knew, at least a little bit, 400 of them. There were two jhs's serving the high school so I was in the system for a little over 6 years. Some day I'll go through my yearbook and see how many of the 400 I remember. Right now I can only think of 10 or 15 and 5 or 6 teachers. (Plus all 29 of the other kids I went to grammar school with for 5+ years, plus my first grade teacher. I remember each of those kids, what they looked like, and other things about them.)

Not cheap.

Reply to
micky