A question even more about Florida

Where my brother lives there is a long winding lake, and I think such lakes are common all over south florida.

Man-made?

For appearance, I suppose.

So why are there no benches so one can sit, relax, look at the water all the lizards?

Is this typical or is there something wrong with where he lives?

Reply to
micky

Florida does have 30,000 lakes. Also have more sinkholes than any other state.

Good chance there are alligators too, thus no benches. A few people have been killed in the past month in or near water. Couple of dogs too. The only standing water I'll go into is in a bathtub.

There are a few ponds in my development. No benches. No know alligators but I'm still not getting close.

Ed Pawlowski

Someone warned my brother about alligators.

So am I in danger just standing there?

I'm already on my feet so that saves me one or two seconds, but it seems like one or two seconds don't make me much safer!

Most lake aren't connected to any other water are they? There are no underground culverts connecting one n'hood's lake from another, are there? So an alligator would have to walk across the street to get to the next lake?

I saw a 12 or 15" long lizard swimming in the lake. Is he in danger of being eaten? If there were several and they didn't seem to disappear, would that mean there are no gators?

BTW, he was , each almost an inch wide. Do you know what kind that is?

I do know someone from some mailing list 10 years ago and she lives next to a golf course in Titusville Fl. and she said she can't let her little granddaughter go outside because of the gators that live in the golf course water hazards. But at least they call them hazards.

Was there a time when no gators lived in the ponds? Did they have benches then? OTOH, if there was never a time when no gators lived in such ponds, why did they keep builing housing with ponds that could attract alligators? If there are alligators, eventually not having benches won't be enough to save someone.

That does seem wise.

You saved me. I tried to use sat view, and maybe I could get close enough to see a bench, but then moving sideways would take a long time. The other choice was to borrow a car, drive around to a bunch of n'hoods, and check for benches. Now I don't have to.

Reply to
micky

Just build a bench. Less stress than a bench in Chicago wearing bling.

Reply to
Thomas