Best way to hook up SCART to HDMI TV

OK .. until today I had a Panasonic Vierra TV connected to Humax PVR and DVDR and a Yamaha Home Cinema Receiver. All hooked up as per this drawing:

TV (Samsung 46ex6800) has no SCART ... HDMI only It does have Component Video in and optical audio out

So assuming last 2 stay as is ... do I hook up as before .. and then have to invest in SCART to HDMI converter & upscaler in line for the DVDR output (AV4 on TV in pic) and PVR output (AV3 in on TV in drawing)

That is going to mean about £100 for 2 x converters and 2 x HDMI leads.

Obviously I will update in future, and BluRay and new PVR will be HDMI.

If my assumptions above are right ... any reconsiderations for which HDMI converters to buy?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

oops .. typo .. model is 46UE46ES6800

Reply to
Rick Hughes

My Sammy (OK, a couple of years older than yours) has an adaptor from SCART to a small plastic plug. Isn't there such a facility on yours or has it been left off all together now?

Reply to
PeterC

On 02/05/2012 22:26, PeterC wrote: I converters to buy?

They provide a little plastic SCART to HDMI lead .... what I was thinking of getting was SCART to HDMI coverter with 1080p upscaler .... in one module. I could just but a 2nd plastic adapter. :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It says here that it has got 1 scart input.http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46ES6800UXXU-specIt is probably with the adaptor but it is a dedicated connector you are not loosing another input.

Reply to
Gary

...snip...

You seem to think you need two SCARTs. Your TV has one according to the Samsung website and the Humax has an upscaling HDMI so surely job solved?

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Why do you want to pay for another 1080p upscaler rather than use the one built in to your TV?

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

OK have to ask, what was wrong with the panasonic?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

drawing:

>>> New TV (Samsung 46ex6800) has no SCART ... HDMI only

Eh? All modern LED/LCD TVs will upscale a standard definition picture to

1080p or 768p, dependent on the native resolution of the panel.

But if you can't tell the difference between an upscaled DVD (upscaling doesn't add MORE detail) and a native 1080p BluRay, you need your eyes testing.

Not to mention the fact that most PAL DVDs play back at 25fps on a standard TV even if the original movie was 24fps, whereas a BluRay will play at the native 24fps.

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

OK .. assumed I had to (my lack of knowledge on HD TV) I still need to get the connection in though ... and currently the items are SCART.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

There is also AV Amp ... previously this was connected via Component video ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

OK ... Panasonic was not HD and it was a 38" Wanted to get a HD TV & move up to 46" in size Vierra also only has analogue video inputs.

Parents are very pleased .. they have now got rid of 20 yr old 26" Panasonic and have a 38" Plasma ....

Reply to
Rick Hughes

OK .. another part to this ....

I have taken plunge and also ordered a new PVR Humax HDR-FOXT2/1TB So will initially be hooking up with HDMI direct to TV

The next Q is whether I leave the AV amp as is .. i.e DVDR feeds component video through this to TV ... rather than use SCART output of DVD to TV DVDR has TOSlink optical for Audio to amp

In current set up DVDR can record whatever channel was set on TV (even with TV in standby) .. picked up signal via SCART as it has no Freeview tuner of it's own .... not sure if I will lose this capability ... Maybe it will just become a DVD player.

Separately 'considering' changing my av amp ... there is a What HiFi best £500 av amp of 2011 now reduced to under £300 ... the Rx-V671 ... this would give me HDMI inputs ..PVR now, BluRay to follow, and single HDMI lead to TV ... removing the need for component video, and get rid of a whole nest of cables.

Is it worth going all HDMI route .. is video noticeably better than analogue ? .. I'm assuming it is.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The video is never worse and you get rid of all those audio connections too.

The amp you specify appears to convert analogue to digital on the video sources so you should be able to connect your old equipment to it and connect to the TV with a single HDMI lead.

Reply to
dennis

Does that TV have ARC? It'll be needed for using only HDMI. My Sammy doesn't, but that's a couple of years older.

Reply to
PeterC

You won't need that if you are using a PVR/sky as the TV source, you don't even need audio on the TV at all. Once you have gone down the hdmi + av amp route you just need a monitor or projector.

Reply to
dennis

If not, does it have TOSlink audio connection instead? Luckily my TV did, though I'd almost forgotten about it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's what I use - the TV was already set to the correct delay for lip sync. I don't use the AVR all the time as it runs at almost the same power as the TV (~45W v ~50W), but it's v. good for music such as Young Musician or the school choirs on SOP.

Reply to
PeterC

My HD satellite receiver has a component output which I use with the TV. Seems to work just fine. (My TV is old, and only has one HDMI input, which I use with the Humax HD PVR)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)