My brother is the best mechanic in the world

For the last two weeks I have had about 2 inches of water in the drivers footwell. Today was the first time I could get the van to him.

I then jumped into his car to fetch our bacon sandwiches.

When I got back with the sarnies he said "I've drilled a hole in the floor, the water will drain off. Bring it back next week when I am not busy".

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why didn't you siphon most of it out with a piece of hose pipe?

Seems reasonable to me...

Reply to
Martin Brown

n off. Bring it back next week when I am

There are usually some grommets that can be removed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I did that in my Ford Anglia van and Mk1 Cortina.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

That's what rodders does with his boat.

Reply to
brass monkey

s/boat/skull

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Didn't need to in my first road legal vehicle an A 35 Van . Low mileage about 5000 miles but over 9 years. It had belonged to a farmer and his sheep dog used to sit in the passenger footwell. All the water and dung dripping of it had rotted the floor which wouldn't be that difficult on a vehicle of that era. A repair had been done with some mesh but the filler had fallen out leaving just the mesh which I covered with a mat but sometimes this moved and if a lot of water was on the road a fair spray came in. This was a bit awkward if the girl you were taking out was wearing a short skirt.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Next week? What for?

[ducks]
Reply to
Adam Funk

Yes, as it is it's very suitable for ducks...

Reply to
Bob Eager

They are thereto plug the holes for when the body is painted and the holes are there to drain the paint from the floor. They probably don't work with plain water. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Standard feature on a Series 3 Land Rover.

Reply to
hugh

It was the other way around in my Escort; spray would come in via the rotten A-posts, but would quickly work its way out again via the rotten floors.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I have emptied 6 it times already. Today was the first day it was not pissing it down!

I could have drilled my own hole. I was expecting a little research into the cause of leak.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That was my A reg Sierra:-) The MK II Escort was actually dry inside apart from on the passenger seat.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I did a similar 'job': old carwhen driven through a big puddle got about 2" of water in the footwell (there was a delay of several seconds and I often wondered where all that water was for that time). Damned nuisance, as I tended to wear sandals for drivingso I checked that there were no vital components underneath and hammered a ½" cold chisel through the floor in a couple of places. It worked.

On my Sunbeam S8 motorbike, I just could not stop oil getting in to the distributor so a small hole... Only a couple of ml a day - and touring on that thing was basically hunting for the various oils that it spread across Britain!

Reply to
PeterC

You pissed yourself ??

Reply to
Nthkentman

Well he's having a mid life crisis.

He set's off in the morning on a Scumrun around Europe in this

him and his mates dressed as the Taliban.

I have sponsored him, but I am not paying until he gets back alive.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did your driving always have that effect on your passengers? :-)

Reply to
Clive George

At least he didn't *shoot* a hole in the vehicle floor like an American or Top Gear presenter might have done!

Reply to
Martin Brown

As long as it was done from inside, that would have given a more favourable geometry for draining.

Reply to
newshound