Random pipe in my yard? (2023 Update)

We have owned this home for a few years now and the other evening I noticed water bubbling and pouring out between two rocks in our yard. I turned off the water supply line for at least 15 minutes but it still kept going. It also smelled of sulfur, not sewage. Since it kept bubbling out regardless, I turned the water back on and called our water company to report it. By the next morning there was no more water present. When I moved the 2 rocks, there was a perfectly shaped rectangular hole and about 8 inches underground there was a white pipe approximately 2 inches in diameter sticking out in the hole. To provide some clarification, I live in a rural area with a community well and a septic tank. On our property all of the water inlet pipes and sewage system are on the left side of the house but this pipe is on the far right side of our yard at least 200 ft away from our septic tank and at least 20 ft away from the house itself. We had the water managing company come out and take a look at it. According to their documents, piping shouldn't even be on that side of the house. We live in a marshy area, do not have a basement and do not have a sprinkler system in place either. What could this pipe possibly be from to randomly have a temporary water leak?

Reply to
B. Wallace

It sounds like you've discovered an unexpected pipe in your yard. Based on the information you've provided, it's difficult to say for certain what the pipe is or where it's coming from. It's possible that the pipe is an abandoned well, or it could be a pipe from an old irrigation system, or it could be a pipe from a nearby property that is connected to your well or water supply line. It's also possible that the pipe is a part of an old septic system.

It's likely that the pipe is not connected to your current water supply or septic system, and that the water you observed was a temporary leak. The smell of sulfur may indicate that the water in the pipe is from a natural source, such as a spring or underground aquifer.

Given the complexity of the situation and the fact that you live in a rural area with a community well and septic tank, I would recommend consulting with a licensed plumber or a water management company to help you determine the source and purpose of the pipe. They will be able to perform a thorough inspection of the pipe and provide a diagnosis and a solution. It's also important to keep in mind that this pipe might be a liability and a potential hazard, so it's best to have a professional to check it out, as it might be dangerous or illegal to have this pipe on your property.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor