HDMI to SCART

My Father has just bought himself a YouView box ... which has HDMI output.

His TV (non HD Panasonic Plasma) does not have HDMI ... has SCART and component video

He has seen HDMI to SCART adapter leads ... but I don't think these would work .... HDMI is digital video ... needs to be converted to Analogue video, and therefore would assume you need an HDMI to SCART converter box, or am I wrong ?

If I am right ... anyone suggest suitable box.

Reply to
rick

A new TV.

Reply to
dennis

The youview site suggests box can/do have SCART out, is he sure his model doesn't?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not seen the box myself ... he just asked could he plug HDMI into his Panny ... which he can't

Reply to
rick

Could be a case of a correct answer to the wrong question

Reply to
Andy Burns

As far as i'm aware it does have a scart. the only real snag is that his tv is not hd, so presumably all the stations and streams will display as normal resolution, indeed I'd half expected to get the old problem of letter box and squashed or stretched pictures on such a tv.

I wonder what is actually free on that box, cose if you listen to the small print most of the good stuff needs to be paid for.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

then he should just use the scart socket.

yes, if his TV isn't HD then he will just get standard definition. If the set is an old 4:3 ratio one then yes it would letterbox etc., but assuming that it is a widescreen TV then it won't for normal TV content

- films might.

The Freeview stations it receives are free, as are the various online catchup services (iplayer, 4OD etc.). AIUI There is paid for content as well, such as Netflix, NowTV.

And you can get it via some ISP's such as BT and TalkTalk, in which case they may have thier own content as well.

Reply to
Chris French