4k video on laptop to 4K television not showing 4K

Playing a youtube video on a lap top which says the video is 4K high definition and then transferring it via a HDMI cable into a large 4K rated television, the result is not at all high definition. Am i missing something in expecting it to be high definition on the television?

Reply to
john west

Pre Covid, I was killing time while Senior Manage was shopping by looking at TVs etc in the electronics section of the same shop.

A salesman was demonstrating a 4k TV, as I recall by switching between blue ray and the same film on another play but DVD at a lower definition.

The TV was huge - far to large for our sitting room, which is far from small- yet I really needed to look to tell the difference. Certainly, if I was simply sitting down to watch a film or TV, rather than worrying about the picture, I wouldn?t notice.

Reply to
Brian

It's possible the laptop can't send 4k over HDMI. It's likely its graphics card is only good enough to drive its internal screen.

What model?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My laptop can drive a 4K monitor over DisplayPort @ 29.97 fps, or over HDMI port at 30 fps, but neither port at 60 fps (actually an external USB3 dongle can drive DisplayPort at 60 fps, but the dongle crashes after a few minutes and the frame rate is lumpy.

Some machines are just too old to cope.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have three fancy modern sets, able to properly display the HD TV channels. I usually compromise my TV watching wearing my reading glasses, so I see no improvements in watching the HD channels, versus the standard versions. I can certainly see the difference if I sit at 'reading distance' or wear my glasses of the correct diopter for TV watching.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

 What does the laptop report in Display Settings as the resolution of the TV ?
Reply to
Mark Carver

Obvious - but,

- Make sure windows display resolution is set to 4K.

- At the bottom of the youtube window shown in the browser is a gear cog where ye can select the 'Quality'. 2160p60 (4K) is what ye need.

- On your TV, you should find an info screen that shows what resolution and rate the TV is displaying.

- Adding make and model of components is vital to getting a proper reponse from usenet!

- What spec HDMI cable are ye using. Is there a switchbox in the way?

FWIW,

For comparison, at work I'm using a (Core i5-8350U Quad 1.7GHz / Intel UHD Graphics 620) based HP Elitebook 840 G5 onto an old 43" LG 4K screen via HDMI, on a very fast internet connection. Full screen, it drops frames at 4k@30Hz (display stats for nerds), but is watchable none the less.

A good youtube test clip that is very obvious 4K is

Sniper Will Smith (Gemini Man)

I wouldn't waste time looking at 4K fish tanks!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Thanks. its a Dell Inspiron and the label underneath says P25T and then P25T002

Reply to
john west

That might be the Inspiron 11 3179:

That has a Core m3-7Y30 CPU, which is capable of:

Max Resolution (HDMI)? 4096x2304@24Hz Max Resolution (DP)? 3840x2160@60Hz Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)? 3840x2160@60Hz

? This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration.

So you might be able to get 4K @ 24Hz or 30Hz out of the HDMI, but not 60Hz unless you go Displayport (which it appears this laptop doesn't have, nor USB-C).

In Windows settings -> display, see if you can adjust the display resolution to 3840x2160. You might have to adjust the frame rate lower to let you do that.

Hits for P25T also come up with the Inspiron 11 3169, which comes in a range of Intel and AMD CPU options:

you go into system information it should tell you what CPU you have, and then it's possible to look up what it can do (although no guarantees that this specific laptop is capable)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

1) URL of Youtube video ? 2) Exact make and model number of laptop ? 3) Exact make and model of TV set ?

Getting 4K to work, is about as hard as child birth. (On a scale of 1..10, about 11 or so.)

*******

The following procedure, is if you have no honest-to-goodness 4K files to test with.

For a Windows tool that downloads bitranges, there are things like aria2. For slow download sites, you can decrease the download time using more connections and byterange downloads (each thread downloads a chunk). I used five connections to archive.org to download a Red Cinema camera sample video.

Usage:

aria2c.exe -x5

# Download using five connections to some.com .

In an ordinary Command Prompt window:

cd /d C:\users\username\Downloads\aria2c # The folder with the unpacked Aria2 ZIP file, # aria2c.exe is inside this folder.

# This is content removed from the red site, and saved as an upload to archive.org rather than # as a conventional archive. I only tried a few samples, and this one isn't bad as content goes. # Some of the others were dreadful and no good for test.

aria2c.exe -x5

After 15 minutes, that gives

Name: epicw8k-standard-24fps-7to1redcode_16x9.zip Size: 1,478,855,973 bytes (1410 MiB) # 7 seconds of a Hong Kong street at 8K resolution SHA1: 25950E5B437906F7983020C330FD4F5A3BEA1392

# You could also do that in a browser, at the provided URL. Some of the other samples are awful.

In the normal order of things, the content is useless without a translator, and the translator is shit. It's pretty (graphical goodness) but for output the work-able options require QuickTime Pro for Windows $$$ (when FFMPEG is available easily), and JPEG frames. That's why I chose JPEG frames when I did this conversion some time ago.

Name: REDCINE-X_PRO_Build_55.0.msi Size: 176,910,336 bytes (168 MiB) SHA1: 4C0839FFAA3DD96F65D04C77A58F45D2DBB0C215

Right click the download and select "Install" from the top of the Windows menu.

To succeed at Exporting the "H004_C006_1211TB_001.R3D" file (1,479,311,360 bytes), there are some tricks. RedCine-X Pro is an editor, and requires the clip to be dropped into the Timeline, then selected, before you can Export on the upper right. The Export profile is "Unnamed" and in there, you can switch to the JPEG option. There is a separate small menu for setting JPEG quality to 100 percent.

[Picture] If frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"

This produces 153 frames similar to this (4.3GB total, 7 seconds worth)

Sequence 01.0000152.jpg 28,100,518 bytes

Drop ffmpeg.exe into folder with JPEG files

Name: ffmpeg-2022-03-07-git-e645a1ddb9-full_build.7z Size: 44,315,699 bytes (42 MiB) SHA256: 4E3BDF5E4FB18A18F05805867B37D40CCCAD67F7CF8A7A8C2D4D3B24A5B74BC4 SHA1: 676A3D07F34580F444BF26E784089C3B05CC8810

Name: ffmpeg.exe Size: 121,132,032 bytes (115 MiB) SHA1: C1D14C672D9FAFC16BD633A14C56502792D24D13

Now, experiment with movie format, video only, as no audio was on the original.

I don't think the quality factor has been particularly constrained here, which may cause the playback data rate to be a bit low.

The frame rate is manually set to 24. If your laptop refresh on the HDMI is 23.xxx, you can adjust to 23.xxx value. if the refresh on the laptop is 60FPS, then just leave it at 24.

ffmpeg.exe -r 24 -i "Sequence 01.%07d.jpg" -s 3840x2160 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -movflags +faststart movie.mp4

Name: movie.mp4 Size: 12,826,013 bytes (12 MiB) # 7 seconds at 4K, may need a -pix_fmt yuv420p or the like # So far all my pix_fmt attempts have been dismal flops.

It looks pretty good on my small monitor using VLC -- enjoy on your TV, as a test.

Some movie players have a loop capability, so the 7 second sequence can be played forever.

VLC can play that content. You can also try streaming the content to the network port on the TV. Windows Media Player has a streaming capability and can be detected via Plug and Play on the TV end. You could serve a file from Windows Media Player... and a ton of other streaming servers of your own choosing.

And all of this, is to take Youtube out of the picture. You are in control, with your own file as a sample. By using 8K source material (JPGs), the 4K movie should be pretty good.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I'd give up.

Media streamers that do 4K 60Hz are fairly cheap now.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

As I understand it, some people play movies with 24FPS setups. I don't have the gear to test what that's like.

It's when the TV is used as a general purpose desktop extension, that a low 24 FPS screen would suck. Compared to a more normal 60FPS progressive computer monitor rate.

Regular computer monitors, aren't typically specced to run that low. They might be in the range of 60FPS to 72FPS or so, for the old monitors I've got. But there may be provision on modern kit, for other things to happen. Since the 24FPS limit of one of the standards (the HDMI case) was known about.

Maybe there is an active DP to HDMI to allow something else to happen. It's unlikely a laptop has a ton of video connectors sitting there (like a miniDP using available electrical interface), but at least there is a solution for the Intel conundrum. (Where the perpetually-behind HDMI spec is beaten by the DP option.) Putting DP on the laptop side, would have been "best-foot-forward". Many companies do not see it this way.

Paul

Reply to
Paul