Powered "cartridge" guns

Has anyone got any recommendations? I don't have any batteries to fit some of the ones that are sold "bare".

This one is £90 on amazon

and aliexpress has one for £60.

Cordless seems more convenient than air powered, although I do have a compressor. It's not for "professional" use but I have a project coming up that will use a few tubes so I don't mind investing £100.

With the ones that fit to a drill, you seem to have to take care not to drive them right up to the limits.

Reply to
newshound

Not an answer to the question but ... why not use a manual cartridge gun? They're cheap, don't need batteries, and work well. I've no idea how many tubes I've put through mine over the years but it must be getting-on for a hundred or more.

Reply to
nothanks

On 16/03/2022 14:02, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote: not use a manual cartridge

They do vary in quality and ease of use but one of the better ones I've used is £6 from Wilco

alan_m

Being cheap, it also doesn't matter if you forget where you last used it and need to buy a new one.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I have several of them, I've been using them for fifty years. But, I have arthritis and don't find them particularly easy to apply neatly any more. As I said, I have a project where I will probably need to use several cartridges of Sikaflex in somewhat restricted spaces. Anything that makes that easier will be a benfit.

Reply to
newshound

Not as neat as the one you posted, but less than half the price, how about one that is powered from your drill?

GB

Thanks, I'd seen that one, but also noted that several reviewers warn that you can break it both advancing and retreating. It seems that none of the regulars here have used them, which is in itself perhaps a valuable observation.

Reply to
newshound

As a starter I guess it would be worth deciding if you are going to move to a collection of cordless tools, and hence whether it is worth buying into a battery system.

Since once you have some batts and a charger, further "body only" tools can be very good value.

Cordless wins big time for this application IME - espeically if every doing work away from a workshop. Note also most of the battery ones will retract the pressure when you let go of the trigger to stop "stuff" oozing out. Not all the pneumatic ones have that capability.

Also suffer from poorer ergonomics. For a job where getting good control of you movement along with accurate flow control, the bespoke tool would make more sense IMHO, unless its just an application where you need to pump lots of stuff out of the tube quickly and don't so much care about the quality and consistency of the bead produced.

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed. I have a fair number of Lidl/Parkside 20V tools. My old NiCad/NiMH Makita drill and impact driver are both still going strong, I can see no justification for replacing them with LiIon given the amount of use they now get.

That was what I thought too.

That's what I thought too.

Maybe I'll invest in one of the Aliexpress ones. I don't think my use is likely to "wear out" batteries in the way that I do with the drill and impact driver and some of the Lidl stuff.

Reply to
newshound

Watched window fitters do a whole house job ..... all they used was trigger guns ... asked them about powered guns ....... not fine enough control.

That probably says a lot ... if they were worth having they would use them.

Reply to
rick

But, they don't have arthritis. The Op said that that was his reason for wanting this.

Reply to
GB