Anyone got any checklists for moving?

Checklists for 2 weeks before the move, then 1 week, 3 days, The Day, that sort of thing.
MM
MM wrote:

Tell me, before Usenet existed, did you ever think *anything* through yourself?
--
Grunff

Nah, he asked other people in person, the insults on Usenet are easier to deal with though !...
Grunff wrote:

'bout frikking time /someone/ said that :o)
RT

I've been saying it for years
And now it's the people who can't be arsed to google
(pot, kettle, black here on two occasions - being terminally lazy)
--
geoff

You may like to assist Grunff in aiding me with my latest request (see above) for the best methods of cleaning a carpet, albeit a LO-COST carpet. Probably, if I hadn't been such a tightwad and had bought some expensive carpet with Scotchguard or Irishwatch or something, then I would not now be needing to ask. Leave a message here for Grunff to get back to us, okay?
MM

I knew someone would say it in the end.
When I undertake something I haven't done before, I do as much research as possible. Then, and only then, do I ask specific questions about the bits I haven't managed to fully understand. In my experience, and certainly with the Internet, you can find out most things about most stuff yourself.
Al
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:13:40 -0000, "Al Reynolds"

Obviously, Al, you have a social conscience, which, again obviously, is more than could be said of me. You want to exhaust all avenues of research first before burdening all of us here, which is a very admirable trait. I do wish I could be more like you, but we're given the cards we've been dealt and that's it, I'm afraid. Actually, when this house move is over I am thinking of starting a group for those like me for whom research is a closed book and who would rather just ask a policeman. I mean, if you have ever wondered where the flippin' heck the library *really* is, but didn't dare enquire, you'll know where I'm coming from. Nowhere near the library, in fact.
MM

No, but by definition you have access to the Internet.
Several people on here have given you free and friendly advice over the last few weeks, but Grunff was merely making a reasonable request: Why waste bandwidth on here asking questions that you could find out the answers to yourself with only a modicum of effort?
You may argue that since people give you the information here, why bother doing it yourself? Well: (i) this is a DIY newsgroup (ii) eventually people will get bored with you and not respond
Of course, it's possible we've all been the unwitting victims of a particularly imaginative troll over the last few weeks - if that is the case then I'd like to congratulate you on a job well done.
Have a fun day, Al

I don't know whether to be embarrassed or offended over this. I was surprised at first, but now I am puzzled. Because the concept of DIY usually involves work around the house, and a good part of that work must be in order to put one's property into the best condition for selling, then buying another property to move into. Therefore, it would seem to me that DIY is synonymous with all those makeover or house buying proggies on the telly (Beeney, Allsop, Maurice, Spencer et al).
In any case, I don't really see why you find it so offensive or intrusive to be asked a question! You appear to be making a meal out of a very simple little enquiry, though it would have been much easier and quicker either to just not respond at all, if the question did not interest you, or provide any relevant information if it did.
I can't get inside your head to try to understand why you take such umbrage just because I post frequently. Others post even more frequently, but they are not slagged off and criticised for it! Why pick on me? I'm practically a pensioner. I think it's most unfair, that's all.
MM

No-one is arguing with the fact that your questions are relevant.

Don't worry, that'll probably be what happens.

Okay, imagine there are three types of post: (a) New thread posts where you are asking a question. (b) Posts in which you reply to your own threads. (c) Replies to other people's queries. Newsgroups work best when there is a balance between the three.
If you look more closely at the people who post regularly, they tend to have a much higher proportion of category (c) posts.
This isn't the main issue though. The main thing is that some of the enquiries you have made could have been answered in very little time through simple use of google and google groups. In the same way as it is irritating when several people post the same question over and over again (because the answer is readily available), it is also irritating when one person posts lots of questions for which answers are readily available.

Age makes no difference on the Internet. As you state above, I can ignore your posts if I am not interested. Perhaps you would be better off ignoring mine?
Al

Indeed.
MM
"MM" wrote | I mean, if you have ever wondered where the flippin' heck | the library *really* is, but didn't dare enquire, you'll | know where I'm coming from. Nowhere near the library, in fact.
If you want to know where the library is, start at the fruiterer's and follow the trail of banana skins and slightly-surprised-sounding 'ooks'.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Dead right. And watch your languate - do *not*, under any circumstances, use the "m****y* word.
Sto lat (that's Polish for 'cheers') - Stefek
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:16:13 +0000, Stefek Zaba

Oh. Last time I went, people were saying Na zdrowie. Is that another?
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Yes, "na zdrowie!" is the commonest drinking toast. "Sto lat" literally means "a hundred years"; it's the first words and running theme of the birthday/he's-a-jolly-good-fellow song, along the lines of "may s/he live a hundred years". So you'd toast "Sto Lat" more often when re-united with a mate you hadn't seen for a substantial period of time.
Where our West Country's most prolific fantasy author came across it I don't know - and a momentary Google on '"sto lat" Polish Pratchett' doesn't reveal any accounts of Terry getting wildly drunk in Bristol's Polish Club while he was working on the Bristle Een Poes / Wessun Daily Press a couple of decades ago. Though I suppose we could always start a rumour ;-)
Stefek
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:35:01 +0000, Stefek Zaba

What gets me is, why is Polish so hard? I know German backwards, but even if I didn't, there are many words that are similar in English. But Polish doesn't permit one to guess ANYthing! Such a shame, as Polish girls are so pretty, and Polish lager is fantastic.
MM
MM wrote:

'S a different family of Yurripian languages - Slavic. Polish, Czech, Serbo-Croat, Russian, Ukranian to my certain and personal knowledge are all closely related; some are even mutually intelligible between native speakers of goodwill - I remember managing to hold a "conversation" with a Serbo-Croat speaker which felt a bit like reading Chaucer - clearly "sort of" the same language, but some words didn't make any sense, while plenty of others were a bit of a leap away - as if someone you were talking to (in English, natch ;-) called a "door" a "portice", say: for a moment you'd be flummoxed, then you'd think "oh, portice, that's almost like portal, which is an old/weird word for an entrance-way/doorish sort of thing".
Polish has quite a lot of Latin-derived words in it, what with the major cultural influences over the last thousand years being the Church, Italy, and France; for much of the Middle Ages, French was the "aspirational" language for the educated clarses. There's a smattering of German-root words, more frequently used in the Western part (closer to Germany, right?), some of which were flushed out (with only partial success) by a "linguistic purity" movement in the 20s and 30s when Poland regained independence/existence. So, f'r example, spuds were widely known as "kartofle", clearly derived from German "kartofflen", in the Western parts; but in the Eastern bits were more usually "ziemnaki", basically meaning "earth things" ("ziema" being "earth"), and this usage was Encouraged in the interests of "deGermanification" (a response to Polish being banned/discouraged for the previous 120-or-so years of national non-existence). Same kind of idea as the French Academy, and about as succesful in influencing language-as-actually-spoken...
These days, Polish is adopting lots of English words too - from the worlds of entertainment and business particulary, e.g. 'biznes' (from 'business' has more or less replaced 'przedsiebiorstwo' - and mutating meanings of the Latin-derived words to come closer to the English. For example, "ewentualnie", which is "like" the English word 'eventually', used to mean *only* what 'eventuell' still does in German, meaning 'possibly', 'contingently', 'under certain (unspecified) circumstances'; but more recently has come to be widely used (if not Accepted Among Those Who Consider Themselves The Best Speakers ;-) as also being usable to mean what 'eventually' does in English - i.e. will happen given merely the passage of time.
Anyway, the majority of the gorgeous young Polish women you'll come across will talk pretty good English (Russian used to be the compulsory school foreign language, but oddly enough has dropped out of favour since the end of Communism ;-). As for the lager - each to their own; if you're going to drink that kind of beer, Zywiec and similar are pretty good examples. Me, though, I'd much rather a good dark ale or a mild, though they're not at readily available here in the Wesvinglun as they were Oop Noorth where I learnt to drink!
Cheers (na zdrowie, sto lat, spotkamy sie pod stolem...) - Stefek
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:47:10 +0000, Stefek Zaba

So does this explain the large amount of French business influence, do you think? Last time I went to Warsaw, the numbers of Carrefour (and even Castorama) stores was noticeable. Mind you, there was a Marks and Sparks and a Tescos as well, so there isn't a total gallic monopoly.

That would be a shame if it becomes as polluted with English as most other languages have become. I was reading a survey recently that covered the percentage of IT technical words that had been coined in the language vs. borrowed from English. In French, German and Italian it was in the 50-60% range, whereas the Finns had managed over 90%.
If MM thought that Polish was hard then it would be a doddle compared to Finnish. The language is on the same root as Estonian and Hungarian, but only distantly so. Added to this, there is virtually zero body language - until after a few beers that is..... :-)
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote | Last time I went to Warsaw, the numbers of Carrefour | (and even Castorama) stores was noticeable. Mind you, | there was a Marks and Sparks and a Tescos as well, so | there isn't a total gallic monopoly.
Tescos are supposed to be doing well in Poland (and a lot of other places). Several years ago the chief exec promised transferring Polish skills, eg bakery, back to the UK. As this hasn't happened yet, still have to rely on Lidl for interested imported things.
Owain