Anyone got any checklists for moving?

You're not as bright as I thought ... unless you're being ironic of course.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Even easier is to stay in the house. It's what we've done for forty years.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The one you can't move without it making a noise.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Years ago I was a technical translator in Germany, and had to render English into German for Ford-Werke. Boy, some of the English technical writing (for workshop manuals) was so hard to get right and make it sound right in German. Once we had to hire a freelance translator (German) who knew nothing about cars. She translated rocker shaft as 'kippende Welle', and there were many other gems.

Ah, Finnish! In Berlin, where my late sister lived at the time (1970s), there was a very friendly guy named Pekka. He spoke good German, but when he rabbited on in Finnish with his friends, it was like double Dutch! Actually, I think Dutch is a lovely sounding language. Anyone here heard of Herman van Veen? But then, I think

*all* languages are fascinating and interesting. The father of one of my Scottish dancing friends in Cologne was a professor (of linguistics, I believe) at the Uni and could speak around a dozen languages, several fluently.

MM

Reply to
MM

Tried their Kartoffelsalat yet? Tescos, ASDA etc do not come close. Also, they do their version of Crunchy Nut cornflakes for 99p for

500g.

MM

Reply to
MM

All I shall need to know is: "Fancy coming back to my place for a fried slice and a cuppa?" After that, language will be redundant...

MM

Reply to
MM

In message , MM writes

Doh, everyone knows it's a Meekdschaggerschwanz

We put a Scot up against a Bavarian once, amazingly, there's quite a bit of linguistic commonality

e.g. "I ken what ye sprek"

Reply to
raden

Except have different sounds...

All a matter of scale I suppose.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not this year.

MM

Reply to
MM

Extract from ;Letters to the Editor' (Whitbread News) for Set. 1972

Lighthearted glossary of motoring terms in Anglicised German to co-incide with Britain's entry into the Common Market:

Exhaust Pipe Das spitzenpoppenangentuben

Speedometer Der Egobooster und Lineschootin-backerupen

Air Horns Der Vhatderhellyouat Klaxonfanfaren

Puncture Das Pflatt mit Dammunblasten

Learner Driver Dumbkopff mit Elplatz

G.T. Der Egovagi mit Dumbkopfblonde

Estate car Der Schonogginwagen mit Bagzeroomfurrompininderbac

Petrol Das Kislijooze fur Genningreezoffendentrousen

Motor Club Der Meetinghause fur Wagennatterinelbawraisin und Choddenupziebirds

Windscreen Wipers Das Flippenfloppenmuckschpreddun und schticken

Crossroads Das Kussundschverringstrassen

Level Crossing Die Flattenbitunpuffpuff tracken

Low Bridge Das Makengrossenbus in Singeldekker

Gear Lever Ds Kangeroohpenbicken schticke

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's a fascinating language, we thoroughly enjoyed lerning it - but that was in the 60s or 70s and we never used it ... :-( As a discipline it was superb.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | A daughter, who already knows quite a bit of it, started | formal Welsh lessons last night and practised them on me today.

O! I can still remember learning "Grandfather has lost his false teeth"

| I told her to wash out her mouth with soap.

Yr uwch goch moch a chwech moch bach and it'll be everything in the room that needs washing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"MM" wrote | >So, if MM wants to speak Polish, he shouldn't start from | >English! | All I shall need to know is: "Fancy coming back to my place | for a fried slice and a cuppa?" After that, language will | be redundant...

You'll be speaking the language of luuurve

Wouldn't "do you already have a boyfriend" and "any discount for cash" avoid embarassing misunderstandings later?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I hope so. Having a stock farm and working hard at that and cabinet making they're a sweaty pair as it is.

Last week their washing machine died, they wanted us to find a new motor for them. We persuaded them to look at the brushes. Finally they accepted that we oldies just might know something about such things, having maintained our own equipment for centuries, and agreed that we should find the necessary part. They don't have any such outlets in the mountains.

So yesterday Spouse collected the pair of brushes from Regam and I sent it. I'm hoping that they'll get it and fit it today then they can be nice to know. Or at least not have any excuse for not being.

If it doesn't work I'll tell her to keep practicing the gutturals.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Third tub of it. Decent rye bread too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Nockenwelle

Geschwindigkeitsmesser

Drucklufthupe

Fahrschüler

? ( gin & tonic?)

Kombi

Sprit

ADAC

Scheibenwischer

Brücke (there ain't any low ones; we flattened them all)

Reply to
MM

That's the EU for you ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , MM writes

Wirklich ?

I had one go once in the SD1

Luckily I was doing about 120 at the time and had just enough momentum to carry my up the Ausfahrt and onto a garage forecourt

it wasn't actually a German test

Reply to
raden

What's the German for cranking handle then?

Not that I care ... we have an automatic starter these days.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Kommt darauf an...

What's that?

More than lucky!

Maybe. But when I see a piss-take, I just have to add a wind-up!

MM

Reply to
MM