Anyone got any spare lockshield valve caps?

It's typical isn't it... they're the sort of thing you have in abundance kicking around when you don't need them... but when you do they all seem to do a runner.

Having recently balanced my heating system I want to remove the adjustment knobs from my LSVs however would like to replace them with caps to maintain aesthetics. Whilst some places online do sell them they want over =A32 each for them - I could buy a whole new LSV for that!

Does anyone have any kicking around? I'm after a dozen and would happilly bung some beer vouchers your way.

I'm assuming they are pretty much a universal fit?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Sadly not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. Valve bodies vary in size quite a lot in the place where the cap snaps on.

I'm not sure how the loose ones work - do they supply a selection of sizes, or maybe some adapters?

Reply to
Roger Mills

In article , Roger Mills writes

When I needed some, my local small plumber's merchant gave me a selection of different ones and told me to go back to return the ones I didn't need and to pay for the ones I did use.

Try getting that kind of service from B&Q etc.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

maybe some adapters? I got a twin-pack of radiator tap-tops (not lockshield) from Wilkinson's,. They come with 3 different inserts and a large star-washer to clip it in. I found the insert needed filling out slightly to fit my valve stem There was also a plastic collar to improve stability where needed.

Reply to
Graham.

Maybe I'll give that a shot (and/or try Wilkinson's as suggested elsewhere).

I try and steer clear of the merchants to be honest though as I often don't feel particularly comfortable in them given the often apparent derision towards the DIYer. That, and the customised pricing strategies some of them employ.

You're right though, at least there's an element of service that you don't get in the sheds.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I had a similar experience years ago when I was trying to match some acrylic tap-tops.

The Forkhandles sketch comes to mind.

Reply to
Graham.

The Wilco ones were "real" tap-tops not "dummy" lockshields, however if you don't install the metal insert...

I know what you mean about feeling intimidated, you've got to convincingly act the part.

Christ, I once ordered egg chips & beans in a "truck drivers only" cafe at a motorway services!

Reply to
Graham.

I'd just do the same, buy a few ranges and return the ones I didn't want for a full refund.

Reply to
Fredxx

The way to deal with pricing - provided you know what you want - is to ring up for a quote before you go, and make it clear that you are getting alternative quotes. They'll then give you their best price, which they'll honour when you go to collect. Make sure you know who you spoke to, though!

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's fine for a project-load of bits but I often buy things piecemeal, or at least in such small batches that it's probably not worth their time going to the effort of quoting. That said, perhaps that's why I get that awkward feeling in there - I'm often buying one- offs so right or wrong they don't see me as valued customer.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Doesn't matter - one item is fine! By "quote" I simply meant giving you a verbal price over the phone. When you go in, you can then say "Arthur" (or whoever) quoted me £x - and that's what you'll get charged rather than the full retail price. They're much more forthcoming when they haven't already got a captive customer in front of them.

They've got lots of discount codes they can apply - and some official rules about how to apply them - but the staff still seem to have quite a lot of discretion, so it's just a matter of getting them to exercise it in your favour!

Reply to
Roger Mills