stucco touch-up: best way to closely match existing stucco

Is there any easy way to closely match an existing stucco color if I want to do very small touch-ups? For example, touch-ups measured in a few square inches.

Where do I buy stucco final coat colors from?

Does anyone sell kits that let you create your own colors for small touch-ups?

Reply to
Ojas

Isn't there a coat of paint on the stucco?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, stucco can be colored without painting it. It goes on with whatever color it is going to be already in it.

Reply to
BETA-32

Most paint stores have color computers. Bring in a small sample of the existing paint and they will mix up a reasonably close copy. The computers do not work as well on rough surfaces though.

If the color was a standard stucco color and you know the manufacturer, you should be able to get a paint code from them. They also sell a product called fog coat, which is a cement based color spray that's designed to blend in repairs to an existing wall.

The larger problem is that the existing color tends to change over time, so using a manufactures stock color will never match perfectly.

You won't be happy with the results. Most people aren't skilled enough to be able to blend their own colors. For example - adding white to a color does not make it lighter.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Yes, stucco can be colored with paint, or the color can be mixed into the final coat of stucco: the latter is what I'm trying to match.

Reply to
Ojas

Sounds worse than having the water heater blow out while you're on vacation. :-(

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Colored sanded grout from the tile department. Blend two or three to match via trial and error. The eye is very sensitive to slight but abrupt changes in shade, so this is difficult.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

trial and error. The eye is very sensitive to slight but abrupt changes in shade, so this is difficult. well worth a try.....on 115 year old stucco, never painted! Thank you for the suggestion.

Reply to
joy