Problem installing sound bar

Then there is the guy who finds his external sound system is lagging so the lip sync is out orf course. I'm in a way glad I cannot see soemtimes. I don't need to deal with this nonsense. I'd just like apvr that has talking menus and can read the program guide etc, and I'll shove iit into an adaptor and use analogue thereafter.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Except when they didn't.

How many times did scart pin 8 need to be snipped on devices that didn't treat WSS signal from scan line 23 properly?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Pretty well all LCD TVs have an internal delay to get the sound in sync with the picture. If you used a record out, it might come before that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is true of almost everything these days no paper manual with anything just an online URL if you are lucky or a QR code.

I reckon it is worth persevering there is almost certainly a way to do it. You may have to tell it to use the right protocol (or tell the recipient to). Just as there is a way to switch off the old default behaviour of use as much power as possible in standby mode on old sets.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The manual available online is a dump of the internal help in the TV. There is no index and although there is a ToC, there are no page numbers. The help browser on the TV is utter shit and impossible to use at the same time you are configuring the set.

The important word here is "reliably". This rather implies that it isn't some setting or another, since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, especially since all the other software in the telly is utter shit also; for example, the picture broke up in "Altered Carbon" on Netflix last night and wouldn't come back until I power cycled the set. Indeed, we have to power cycle it a couple of times a month. we have to power cycle the sound bar a couple of times a week. I have spent many hours trying to get this PoS to work and have long since reached the end of my patience. I just hope someone breaks in and steals it, or it fails terminally and then we can buy something, anything, other than a Samsung.

And I will certainly never buy anything made by them ever again.

Reply to
Huge

Yes - there's a name for that type of HDMI - I forget.

Me: I'd start with optical - but the OP will probably have to go into the TV menu and set "Sound output" to "Optical" - on my Samsung, that requires a manual intervention, it is not automatic (which would be hard with 1 way optical!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

ARC

Reply to
Andy Burns

SCART is one of the worst connectors ever. Variations from cheese paring manufacturers with fewer pins connected could make compatibility a nightmare.

Reply to
pamela

That's the one :)

(My brain has good storage but s**te indexing ;-)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Most AV amps have variable delays you can apply to each audio channel to fix that...

Reply to
John Rumm

I just bought a cheap Toshiba as an urgent buy after the backlight of the previous TV failed. It came with a very thin manual with almost nothing in. It was only by chance, when scrolling through menus that I found that it has a very detailed manual built into the TV. Great idea!

Ours not only has line out, but a separate sub-woofer out and, more surprising for a 4K TV, it actually has a SCART socket - not that we need it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

An actual analogue line out - such as a pair of phonos? When looking for a new TV a couple of years ago, non did. But I did get a SCART which I still use occasionally. Have to use a toslink to analogue converter to feed the Hi-Fi. And had to add an amp to it to get it up to the same level as the other sources.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, phonos.

Toshiba 43U6763. £299 from Richer Sounds - who, oddly enough, advertise it as a single tuner, Freeview TV, despite it having both Freeview and Satellite inputs. They also don't mention the analogue audio outputs, but they are there.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Unfortunately codec implementation on many sets is dodgy.

The most common fault by far is that satellite ITV HD breaks up spectacularly on some older sets because they didn't implement the newer error correction method that ITV (alone) has adopted. Older Panasonics are definitely affected. I have seen too many of sets that fail on the adverts when playing content on demand - no idea why. iPlayer works but some of the other channels players go haywire far too often.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thank you one ans all for all the replies. Strangely it started working on its own with no intervention form me!

Reply to
Broadback

Ah - I needed a rather larger set than that. But only really looked at those in John Lewis.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Via HDMI or optical?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did you let a small child near it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Figures.

Reply to
Huge

and on mine too. By default it is set to internal speakers

Reply to
Martin