Small sound-to-LED colour modulator?

I need to light-up a small space (200x100x200 all mm) in a way that changes colour with pitch of music - it needs to be battery powered. I could probably mess-around with an electret mike element, pre-amp and PWM LED drivers, but if there's something cheap available off-the-peg I'd rather buy it ... so far my googling has failed to turn-up anything. Has anyone spotted anything suitable in their travels around the web?

Reply to
unknown

Can you cannibalise a cheap battery disco lighting unit similar to

probably cheaper from China on ebay

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog