Moving a consumer unit - a couple of questions

Our house consumer unit is currently on a stud wall in the downstairs loo, we are planning to extend the loo into the adjacent utility room to make a shower room. Thus the consumer unit needs to move, it can't be in a shower room and the wall it's mounted on is going anyway.

I replaced the original consumer unit with the one that now needs moving so I'm not too worried about the basics of what's needed but I do have a couple of questions:-

Some (quite a few) wires will need extending, I have suitable crimps and crimp tool but what protection do the resulting joints need? All the existing cabling is T&E laying between joists etc. but presumably crimped joints would need forther protection. Is heatshrink enough or do they need to go in boxes of some sort or conduit?

I *guess* this may be Part P'able, I'm not too concerned if it is or not to be quite honest but it would be nice to know as there will be building inspectors around for other work that is going on.

I'll be buying a new 18th edition all RCBO consumer unit, any recommendations for good, easy to wire ones?

Reply to
Chris Green

The consumer all rcbo unit I have is a curve M18 unit from denmans electrical.

It's replacement will be an all metal enclosure as mine was fitted before the consumer unit regulation amendments came into force.

Reply to
stephenten

How do the incoming tails run?

BTW it is part P notifiable but who cares?

Reply to
ARW

I'm not absolutely sure yet, I'm hoping I can move it somewhere that won't need the incomer to be extended. They come underground across the drive and, I assume, up a service duct that also holds a downpipe. I'll need to have a look inside the boxing in to see what's what.

Yes, my feelings exactly, I'll just have to keep the building inspector's eyes averted.

Reply to
Chris Green

If you've got other notifiable work just add in "new consumer unit" in 4 pt Comic Sans somewhere on the plans and it'll be covered :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A friend is in the process of buying a house. One of the issues that came up on the survey was the consumer unit being in a shower room. Not just a room with a shower but a full wet room.

Luckily for him, he actually wants to change it into his "home office". (It is the only bath or shower in the house but it is on the ground floor. Very odd idea.) So he won't have to do anything about moving it.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Heat shrink is ok, although if doing lots in one place, a box of some form might be easier.

Yup consumer unit change would be notifiable.

Hager are usually ok - not too pricey and good range of modules available. However it might just be a case what's got the best special offer on it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Purely out of interest, would moving the unit and extending the cables to it, but not changing the unit be notifiable?

Part P mentions new circuits or changing the unit as notifiable, but exempts extending circuits - although that was probably never intended to apply to the consumer unit end.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker