Consumer unit

Due to a recnt success in the same field I have been asked to replace an old fashioned fuse box with a consumer unit. The wiring is pvc covered and in good condition.
The wires are presently coming out of the wall into the back of the fuse box which is mounted in the garage. There is no way there is enough slack in them to go straight into the new unit. Would the right thing to do be to bring them into junction boxes and extend new wire from there into the consumer unit?
TIA
Capt T wrote:

Not sure how 'RIGHT' it is, but I would get a eurobox with some big feck-off 30A rated chocolate block (type*) things in it and wire the LOT up to that, and then take new cables to it.
* duno what they are called, but those rail mounted connector blocg thingz

What is wrong with crimps? Quick, easy and reliable if you get a decent tool.
which crimp tool is recommended?

Don't need a crimp tool. A pair of grips does a very good job for me.

Virtually guaranteed to produce a crimp way below spec. Really not worth it considering the reasonable price of a decent crimp tool.
--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Agreed.
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

A decent ratchet action one, like that wshown here:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title ble_crimping
--
Cheers,

John.

rats - i ordered the one john rumm recommended before seeing dennis' cheaper one
[g]

They do tend to vary in quality - like all tools.
--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Capt T wrote:

Assuming the existing wires will still be contained in the new CU, then you can crimp extensions onto them.
--
Cheers,

John.

Capt T wrote:

If using crimps then the wires would need some form of enclosure - hence fine in the CU but not outside it on their own.
To do it outside you have two options really, use a row of junction boxes - of appropriate rating for the circuits in question, or make up proper heatshrink covered crimped joints as per the cable crimping article I posted a link to elsewhere in the thread.
--
Cheers,

John.

I take it you are re-positioning the CU?
I don't think you'll get anything purpose built for this - and a series of junction boxes would look very unsightly.
Possibly the neatest solution would be a suitable sized adaptable box mounted over the existing hole and either tight to the new CU or trunking run between them. Inside the box you can use either crimps or connector blocks.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Adaptable/index.html
--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Thanks - sounds like a box over the hole and connector blocks inside is the way to go. I assume you mean the ordinary brown chunky type of strip connector from wickes or wherever.

Here's one way I did it some years ago...
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu2.jpg
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes

Nice job Andy, using DIN rail terminals was a neat idea.
--
fred

You can tell he is not an electrician. The job is far too neat and well planned out for a pro to have done it.
Adam
writes:

Too right, came across a spur to fix at and it was wired in 1.5 mm, that was done by a "professional". Too late to run new wire so now it goes into a FCU and then into a double socket.