Consumer unit

Due to a recnt success in the same field I have been asked to replace an old fashioned fuse box with a consumer unit. The wiring is pvc covered and in good condition.

The wires are presently coming out of the wall into the back of the fuse box which is mounted in the garage. There is no way there is enough slack in them to go straight into the new unit. Would the right thing to do be to bring them into junction boxes and extend new wire from there into the consumer unit?

TIA

Reply to
Capt T

Not sure how 'RIGHT' it is, but I would get a eurobox with some big f*ck-off 30A rated chocolate block (type*) things in it and wire the LOT up to that, and then take new cables to it.

  • duno what they are called, but those rail mounted connector blocg thingz
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What is wrong with crimps? Quick, easy and reliable if you get a decent tool.

Reply to
dennis

which crimp tool is recommended?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Don't need a crimp tool. A pair of grips does a very good job for me.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

A decent ratchet action one, like that wshown here:

John Rumm

Assuming the existing wires will still be contained in the new CU, then you can crimp extensions onto them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Here's one way I did it some years ago...

Andrew Gabriel

Virtually guaranteed to produce a crimp way below spec. Really not worth it considering the reasonable price of a decent crimp tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At least some of the wires will be long enough for the new unit if you're fitting it in the same place? Extend those that aren't using good quality crimps made with the proper crimp tool.

wary of buying crimps from a pound store type place - they're not all identical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

--

Reply to
Capt T

If using crimps then the wires would need some form of enclosure - hence fine in the CU but not outside it on their own.

To do it outside you have two options really, use a row of junction boxes - of appropriate rating for the circuits in question, or make up proper heatshrink covered crimped joints as per the cable crimping article I posted a link to elsewhere in the thread.

Reply to
John Rumm

Something cheap like

will do the job.

Reply to
dennis

Agreed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I take it you are re-positioning the CU?

I don't think you'll get anything purpose built for this - and a series of junction boxes would look very unsightly.

Possibly the neatest solution would be a suitable sized adaptable box mounted over the existing hole and either tight to the new CU or trunking run between them. Inside the box you can use either crimps or connector blocks.

Dave Plowman (News)

rats - i ordered the one john rumm recommended before seeing dennis' cheaper one

[g]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

They do tend to vary in quality - like all tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , andrew@a17.? writes

Reply to
fred

You can tell he is not an electrician. The job is far too neat and well planned out for a pro to have done it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Too right, came across a spur to fix at and it was wired in 1.5 mm, that was done by a "professional". Too late to run new wire so now it goes into a FCU and then into a double socket.

Reply to
dennis