Netbook, back again

T i m wrote:

Running XP means running old browsers, old browsers don't support modern encryption, some sites that don't really need to be encrypted are anyway because somebody thought it would be a good idea, so you end up with inaccessible web sites ...

FWIW, I'm still running XP (here) and Firefox and can't remember having any trouble accessing any web sites?
I don't necessarily get everything as intended (like the odd embedded video won't run) and some eMails don't open embedded images but will normally open ok 'in browser'.
I have actually built a replacement box to this MacMini, quad core Atom, silent (passive cooling), SSD, (full size) BD, W10-64 but haven't got round to plumbing it in ... and a Quad core, passively cooled Shuttle, also with an SSD and running W7-64 that will probably go along side it.
I'm still think about a NAS to supplement my aging WHS. A mate has just given me an old Buffalo TeraStation with 4 x 2TB drives but it seems one drive has failed (probably why he took it offline and in his loft a few years ago). As it's RAID5 I'm happy to find a replacement drive and give it a good run and might leave it online here for a while, prior to giving it to our daughter.
I'm still looking at Synology boxen, DS218J or just a DS119j (I think it is, single drive) and maybe use a RPi running OMV to act as a backup to that?
The TeraStation draws ~40W when running and ~15W idle, versus the DS218j which I think is 17W running and 4W idle?
Cheers, T i m
On 14/07/2019 21:00, T i m wrote:

Can't say I was that impressed with the Baffalo NAS I saw. If you want "simple and works" Netgear readynas are good. For more features Synology or QNAP.

--
Cheers,

John.
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 17:51:46 +0100, John Rumm

In this case 'beggars can't be choosers' John. ;-)

Ok. I have seen them on eBay. (Just trying not to go there again), could it have been a D-Link NAS that required (forced) you to create an online account and the NAS was linked to it or might that be an option on most of them for remote access?

I don't think we would want 'more features' (than a reliable / basic NAS, possibly with the option of RAID1) and those we would want we aren't likely to get ... like the sort of client machine backup we get as std on WHS?
I was looking for another 2TB drive to replay the third drive on this TeraStation that is currently in RAID5. Given I was considering a DS218j (two drive bays) I have since thought of just pulling one of the 3 remaining drives in the TeraStation and turning the remaining two drives into a RAID1 pair and still have a 2TB drive to hold as a spare, or set up as backup drive in the TS, or as an independent backup by putting it in an external / USB drive case [1], either plugged into the NAS directly or running on a RPi / OMV. I wouldn't know (yet) how I would get the drives mirrored across the two boxes, if I went that way (whereas I believe the Synology boxes have their own Backup solution)?
Cheers, T i m
[1] It would be handy if the backup drive could be read on any or Linux boxes ... in an emergency.
On 15/07/2019 20:13, T i m wrote:

You probably want a reliable incremental backup to another device/cloud service. This is so if you do get an infection on your PC/laptop and it starts encrypting stuff on the shared drive you can get it back by going back in time.
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 23:05:12 +0100, "dennis@home"

Agreed.
I've been playing more with the TeraStation tonight and found it quite good. Certainly much much easier to configure than OMV. ;-)
Full factory reset.
When logging back into the web admin page it prompted me that a firmware update was available and I applied it (it did all the work).
I then removed the dead drive and one of the others (< the date code worked out to 2009 but the NAS has been offline for quite a few years).
I rebuilt the remaining two drives as RAID1 (LED's by each bay reflects what's going on).
Created two shares, Public and Private and put a username and password on Private.
The front backlit LCD display cycles though various status functions which are user settable (with user settable backlight brightness and sleep period).
Copied a wodge of files (176MB) to it and they went ok.
25 seconds to the OMV running on a RPi2 20 Seconds to the TeraStation 10 Seconds to the WHS (on the same Gb switch as PC)
Did it all with hardly any reference to the manual [1] (that it also provides in a SMB share and from a network link on the admin page), just how such hardware should be. ;-)
I've enabled disk spindown and will play with the other timer / sleep settings.
It also has two Gb Ethernet ports and if you use one to connect to another TS, you can duplex the NAS's. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
[1] I flicked though it whilst waiting for stuff to see what else it did. ;-)
On 15/07/2019 20:13, T i m wrote:

I have wasted enough time working with not quite good enough kit to be quite a choosy beggar!

You can join them to their ready cloud setup if you want remote access and don't want to roll your own via VPN etc. However you can set them up the old fashioned way just pointing a browser at the built in web interface.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 01:51:20 +0100, John Rumm

Understood. The thing is, I understand these TeraStations (4 bay) were quite expensive when new (over £1000) and I'm not sure I could justify such a thing for home use. The thought being I would therefore have a business grade NAS that might (in itself) be more reliable than a consumer grade NAS?

Thanks for that John, as long as their is an option. As it happens, for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful to her.
I was looking at this base model: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/RN10200.aspx#tab-techspecs
Would their be any reason it wouldn't be as reliable as say a Synology DS218j (my other consideration)? I have installed a DS218j for a mate and whilst I eventually got it running (just as a basic NAS (a faulty drive didn't help)), I can't say it was particularly intuitive or logical (apps and utilities all over the place with no real clues as to what you needed for what).
By comparison, the TeraStation was very straightforward (but potentially less flexible etc). I think I quite like the old Menu way of doing things (rather than GUI apps), much quicker to explore and use (if well designed). System > Storage > Drives > RAID > Create / Delete etc.
One thing the above tech spec isn't clear about is the standby power consumption and how you wake it from standby? It mentions the WOL power consumption but would that mean you would have to send it a WOL packet to regain access to the shares?
I've just had a quick Google and it looks like the RN10200 (empty chassis) is around £250 (V the DS218j at £155) so that's probably decided that. ;-)
Would you know if the Synology box is as easy to access remotely John (I believe I can via their 'QuickConnect' facility)?
Cheers, T i m
On 17/07/2019 10:46, T i m wrote:

I don't know if the 4 bay ones are any better - but the thing that really let down the 2 bay ones I have seen is the software. It might be they have improved in the last couple of years.
(also the price when new is not an overall indication of comparative quality - you could buy a new QNAP 453A for ~£360 now)

The whole "personal cloud" thing is something they push these days.

I have a dozen or more of that class of machine installed in various client's offices. Some have been running now 24/7 for 8 years. They all have WD "Red" drives. In that time we have had zero failures, and I have only needed to do a forced restart perhaps a couple of times between them. So based on that limited sample size, I would rate the reliability as very good.
(Note that although they are superficially similar, the internal architecture of them has evolved quite substantially over the years. The early ones were SPARC based, then later ARM, and some Intel ATOM).

I think they have all suffered the same "progress" to an extent. They started with very simple GUIs which were basically hierarchical lists of tasks, and have got more elaborate with time. My current QNAP has a full blown windowing GUI running inside a browser window.

You can schedule power on times. Normally they will wake when something tries to access them though.

They do seem to have gone up market price wise - the entry level 2 bay units were around £100 to start with.

Not tried TBH - the last 2 bay Synology I played with seemed easy enough to use locally - but that was before cloudy was big!
--
Cheers,

John.
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:50:49 +0100, John Rumm
<snip good info>

It's just yet another ongoing cost (if not limited or on your own kit etc).

Good to hear, thanks.

Noted.

And that's fine, if they are well designed but it seems much of this stuff is coming directly from China with a Chinglish manual and 'bitsy' UI. I think the Synology boxes have a bit of a reputation for the latter, with some utility overlap confusing the issue.

And that would be ok, but I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as the specific mention of WOL here:
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/RN10200.aspx#tab-techspecs
"Power Consumption - Wake on LAN 1.0W"
I might have considered it to mean 'wake on access' if they hadn't specifically used the term Wake on Lan (which I have set / used etc)? I might just be being wary because I've experienced cheap NAS's in the past that require 'special software' to use them fully (that then becomes an issue when using numerous machines and Linux etc).

That would be much more doable John. ;-)

;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 17/07/2019 17:28, T i m wrote:

Well the point about the personal bit is using your NAS as the storage, and just providing access to it like it were in the cloud. So it does not as such represent an ongoing cost other than the lekky to run the NAS (which you would be paying anyway).

Sounds like its real WoL :
https://kb.netgear.com/23119/What-is-Wake-on-LAN-and-how-do-I-enable-it-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

I tried a docker install of nextcloud on fedora the other week, it didn't fill me with confidence ...
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 00:30:44 +0100, John Rumm

Understood (thanks for clearing up my 'if' above). ;-)

<snip>

Agreed, thanks again John.
I'm going to stick the TeraStation back on the power monitor socket. When I first got it it wasn't on the LAN and I saw it quickly go to sleep (40W to 7W).
I wiped it, re-configured it to RAID1 and put it online but it seems to be active all the time?
Cheers, T i m
On 17/07/2019 10:46, T i m wrote:

They run a dynamic DNS service so it can be found if you have a dynamic address.
I use the Synolgy VPN server when I go away so I can still backup stuff.
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 13:13:35 +0100, "dennis@home"

'They (the manufacturers of the NAS provide a free) DNS service if ...', do you mean (and I hope). ;-)

Is it also 'easy' to access stuff remotely from work (where she can't install any extra software but does have open web access) to home without using a VPN, say if daughter wanted to access some work photos she'd taken and processed at home (rather than having to move via USB drive etc)?
Would it simply be a matter of pointing a browser at her (free) personal address, connecting, authenticating and browsing / downloading etc?
Cheers, T i m
On 14/07/2019 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:

Win XP will only run IE versions up to 8 usually - and that is a bit long in the tooth. However you can run relatively recent versions of firefox, which will cope with most sites, but you will be a bit more at risk since you won't have fixes for the most recent critical browser vulnerabilities.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

Browser for Win XP still updated a fork of firefox>Palemoon >
https://feodor2.github.io/Mypal/
-
On 16/07/2019 00:10, Mark wrote:

Handy, I had not seen that. Thanks.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 02:08:17 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Well troll hunters will be upset.
For some reason, I wonder if there's anyway of getting the workstation to join a domain, and then leave it ? I have the vaguest of memories about issues with XP images when cloned across a company I worked for that required them to join/leave a domain to do something to "set" the networking to make it unique.
Which leads to another question ... there's nothing else on the network that's doing a DHCP job is there ? I know WinXP/NT Server 4 networks could be jammed if another DHCP server popped up from nowhere. Which used to happen a lot (in those days) as salespeople carried NT4 Server laptops and their IT guys never turned off DHCP. So when they connected to our network everything barfed.
Jethro_uk wrote:

wouldn't easily explain why DHCP works on ethernet, but not on WiFi