How to Put Covers Back on Gas Furnace

Boy, do I feel dumb! I can't figure out how to put the cover panels back on my furnace without using duct tape!

I have a furnace in the garage, in a little closet, and it has two panels. There's big solid panel that covers the lower part of the furnace and a smaller louvered panel that sits on top of the solid panel. They kind of dovetail where they meet, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make that happen. I think I need six hands to hold the top part up and then drop it into the bottom part while...I don't know. I need the furnace door installation for dummies guide, I guess. When the top part falls off, the a/c stops, which is not a good thing to have happen in Oklahoma in August.

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions?

Reply to
Beverly

Install the bottom panel first, slipping it into the space behind the fixed small bottom panel. Then slide the top panel down over the "kind of dovetail where they meet" and making sure the top panel (which usually has a couple of little projections) fits into the holes in the furnace top, designed to accept these projections. This holds the top panel in place and the top panel holds the bottom panel in place. Hope that helps.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G