Netbook, back again

XP can be very unhelpful error message wise when the problem is as basic as the password failing because you have failed to save it in the router and the router has been power cycled.

Reply to
Jack98

I think the funniest one I saw was when somebody was scratching their head over something like this, I just entered space and enter and it went ahead and asked for the normal password. I do not know much about netbooks, but surely somewhere this behaviour is explained. Could be it thinks a completely different form of network. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How secure wep is really depends on what you use as a password. As I say early systems would allow you to run them with none at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And means you don't have to 'guess' anything of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On one of my XP laptops, it is necessary to run services.msc from command.com and then page down to turn on networking. Sorry, can't remember the exact details because it's under a great pile of junk at the moment.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Seriously Tim me even thinking about trying Linux would be suicidal, I am prety much out of my depth with this already.

As yet I have not tried using a friends wi-fi as I have been away for a couple of weeks I can hopefully get a neighbour to try for me.

Reply to
ss

Hmm, the thing is, I'd say it would probably be easier (assuming everything worked as it should) for you to 'use Linux as a test tool' (you wouldn't be 'trying Linux' as such) than it would for you to fault find this situation in a logical / professional manner. It really is just a matter of a few mouse clicks so if not now, I'd still recommend you doing it (or getting someone to do it for you) for the test tool it will then give you. You might even appreciate it as an OS for basic Web browsing etc. ;-)

Ok. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If the machine is running XP, check SP3 is installed. It is a long time since I dabbled with Windows but I?m pretty sure this problem can be caused by a lack of updates.

(A WEP/WPA(2) issue is also a possibility, as has been suggested.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I'd agree this looks like WEP, but it sounds to me like the netbook may be only able to handle WEP while the router is proably WPA/WPA2-PSK.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

WEP/WPA is not so much a possibility as a certainty.

The error messages is a WEP error

For whatever reason the combination is trying to use WEP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That doesnt answer why this has suddenly happened though.

It would have to be a mighty OLD piece of hardware not to do WPA. I borowed an EEpc an that did WPA

But as usual we dont know amything about the notebook other than its an asus, becaiuse the original poster hasn't deigned to tell us.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. I've not booted my old EeePC in a long time...

Quite.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The netbook was working before from that router.

Reply to
ss

It is an Asus Eee PC 1001P running win xp.

Reply to
ss

Yes. which is weird. Either the router used to handle WEP or te netbook used to talk WPA.

On or the other has (been?) changed...

So now you are here, what operating system and exact model of netbook is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

which service pack?, needs to be 2 or 3 to get WPA.

has a series of latest drivers for that including the wifi driver.

However it does look like you can go into windows networking and select which protocol to use

I just fired up XP in my virtial box and went to control panbel and tild it to set up a new wifi connection. It gave me the (unticked) option of using WPA (WPA-2 is only available with service pack 3 which is too big for a netbook really)

So I suggest that you delete existing wifi connections and use the wizard to set up a new one, ticking the WPA box and using the SSID and password on your router when asked

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would bet (as it looks to be a Virgin "super" hub), VM have pushed new firmware to it since the netbook last worked and it no longer supports an encryption scheme it used to. VM have been making a lot of noise about their new "intelligent" wifi.

yet another giood reason to use it in modem mode and supply your own router IMO.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

One incarnation of the Virgin Hub had it's DHCP locked to 192.168.1.x ... or was it 192.168.0.x ... ? Either way I remember when I got it, it really f***ed my home network up as I had allocated 192.168.virgin.x to a completely separate router doing different stuff. A lively discussion with VMs "customer service" team was escalated to their "technical" team who insisted that no one could be using "that sort of thing" in the home. Eventually I got put onto some who actually knew a bit about something and they advised on how to get modem mode. This was long before it was splashed across forums.

Had 2 VM hub upgrades since, and the only thing faster than their broadband is the speed with which I put them into modem mode.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 13:45:06 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com wrote: <snip>

+1 ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If I understand correctly that would not be good as I only use it on hols so requires wi-fi.

Reply to
ss