Win 10 not seeing new hardware.

MB is a Gigabyte Z490 VISION G 4.8GHz Intel i7 10700 - 32GB RAM OS Win10 Pro - fresh install on a new SSD. MB is near new and Bios version dated a couple of months back.

New hardware is a graphics card Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX570 4G

Bios setting for the MB a nightmare. Designed for gaming geeks who know all the acronyms and the instructions written for them. ;-)

I've disabled the onboard graphics and set to PCIex 1. Card says it is to the spec of that. The Bios sees something present in PCI 1, but doesn't say what it is. (I'd expect it to say what the card is - but the instructions not clear if it should)

The card does 'work' - I'm getting an output on DVI (which is why I bought the card). But only the screen resolutions of the default windows driver it's using - and pretty useless.

Win10 did find something and auto loaded a driver called Raydeon RX570, but that has a Code43 error in Device Manager. Tried updating the driver, obviously. Installed the entire software suite for the card, and that said installing drivers, etc. But when attempting to run that software, it says card not found.

I bought this card described as new off Ebay. But it arrived with no makers box, software or instructions. Not even in an anti-static bag, just loads of bubble wrap.

I'm hoping it is finger trouble this end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lodge a complaint as 'incomplete' and demand refund.

Reply to
Davey

Did you get the driver direct from manufacturer website?

I'd remove display device (including delete driver files) from device manager, so the PC is using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, check if card itself has a BIOS upgrade, reinstall (presumably 64 bit?) drivers from Gigabyte rather than whatever Microsoft digs up ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Done all that apart from checking if the card has a Bios upgrade.

The above software installs OK including claiming it has installed the drivers. But when attempting to run, doesn't 'see' the card (same as Windows claims not to) so refuses to start. What is odd is that Windows does find and install a driver called RX570, but that gives the Code 43 error.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it has the vendor ID:product ID (a hex number like 123a:b567) that should be good enough. The name of the thing isn't stored on the card, the OS just has a big table, which the BIOS probably doesn't have space for.

It may also say things like 'Gen3' '8Gbps' 'x16' which indicate the PCIe link is up.

So the card is probably electrically OK, if you can see something. The rest is software. I wouldn't do a 'faulty' return on that basis, although you're within rights if the seller allows no-fault returns.

There can be various BIOS settings that relate. Try resetting the BIOS to defaults and going from there.

Also, do you have the card in the slot nearest the CPU? Sometimes motherboards can be fussy like that.

I don't know a lot about Windows drivers, but to note it's an AMD chip so you should be able to install drivers from AMD direct:

OEMs like Gigabyte add a miminal amount of tweaks to AMD's reference design - these days there isn't a lot of difference between them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

If the GPU is visible in device manager, then it is "seen" at the PCIe level

code 43 looks to be a common issue, if none of them have suggestions, since it's a couple year old card, try an older driver?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's the first DVI card I've had which doesn't produce the bleeps of death when installed.

The seller is pestering me to give him good feedback. Got an email from Ebay saying his account is on hold (I've not instigated anything yet). It was described as new and boxed, but as I said came with nothing, so difficult to say if new or not. Cost £150.

Is it going to be impossible to get a DVI graphics card that does what it says on the tin for this MB?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did it arrive from UK or china?

You do hear of unscrupulous sellers taking a few year old model, hacking the BIOS to report as a newer model and shipping a driver with it that sort-of works, but the real driver will fail ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does the gigabyte webite accept the serial number?

are there stock photos out there which share the same serial number yours has?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Jim GM4DHJ ...

1002 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] 67df Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]

Device Manager Properties : Details HardwareID should have VEN and DEV numbers like that.

The card is around 3 years old (launch date).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes, my rx580 under Linux shows as

01:00.0 0300: 1002:67df 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Nitro+ Radeon RX 570/580/590 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 32 Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M] I/O ports at e000 [size=256] Memory at f7e00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3 Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00 Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+ Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting Capabilities: [200] Resizable BAR Capabilities: [270] Secondary PCI Express Capabilities: [2b0] Address Translation Service (ATS) Capabilities: [2c0] Page Request Interface (PRI) Capabilities: [2d0] Process Address Space ID (PASID) Capabilities: [320] Latency Tolerance Reporting Capabilities: [328] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI) Capabilities: [370] L1 PM Substates Kernel driver in use: amdgpu Kernel modules: amdgpu 01:00.1 0403: 1002:aaf0 01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] Subsystem: Sapphire Technology Limited Device aaf0 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 35 Memory at f7e60000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3 Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00 Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+ Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting Capabilities: [328] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI) Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
Reply to
Andy Burns

Nope, plenty around. The problem is just getting the right driver.

Reply to
%%

UK - was delivered quickly.

It wasn't shipped with any software at all. But the description said new and boxed, etc. And I'd expect even a bulk bought version (for factory fitment) to come in an anti-static bag.

There were quite a few on Ebay both new and used. I went for the Gigabyte version hoping it would be compatible with the new GigaByte MB. And did check it said PCIEX13 3.0.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There have been win10 issues with graphics cards recently, but I believe these were all down to third party cards which used the Nvidia chipset. Not being affected I did not pay a lot of attention. So what occurs if you use the on board display system? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

This card is AMD based.

The problem is I want a DVI output to work within this setup - as both the monitor and KVM are DVI. The last PC, Win7, with a DVI graphics card, worked perfectly. But this new MB doesn't like that graphics card.

The on board graphics would be fine for my purposes, but are HDMI and Display Port only. And converters from either to DVI only limited in success.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These would be cards used for Ethereum mining.

Ethereum is memory bandwidth sensitive. And the size of the crypto that Ethereum uses at present, a 4GB card would be the right size. Typically, when they use the cards, they turn down the GPU core and turn up the GPU memory speed, as the algo for mining is depending on memory speed.

You would likely see little wear on I/O connectors.

The cards typically run with x1 lane connections, and there are adapter cables that go from x1 mobo slots to x16 portable slots (the video cards sit in a separate tray on the bench, above the mobo). Biostar used to make a motherboard with around 20 of the x1 lanes on it, so one motherboard could support more video cards.

If they flashed the card BIOS chip to do any of this, they should flash it back before resale.

There's a lot of mumbling here, and I'm only providing this to show what kind of individual does this stuff.

"How to Return your AMD GPU to Stock in 2019! Claymore 14.3 Strap test!"

So mainly, you'd be looking for evidence the card has been hacked in that specific way, a special BIOS flashed into the video card EEPROM. The idiot who did this in the first place, is the perfect idiot to put it back the way it was from the factory.

Doing stuff like this is fine, as long as you're in the temporal epoch where there are lots of discussions about it. Once an idea dies, it can be a lot harder to piece together the tidbits and have the same degree of control.

*******

I would have thought a regular driver would work in a case like this. But I guess you know best in this case.

You *can't* buy certain classes of cards used right now, without running into a wave of this dreck. You need to do some background reading on Bitcoin (ruined by custom miner box), and Ethereum (ruined by custom miner box), to understand both the initial rise of video cards, and the fall of video cards. For about $3000, I can get many times the performance of boxes full of RX570 or RX580 cards. A person might buy a single 1kW miner box, and retire a boatload of video cards like they were worn socks.

Just a guess,

Paul

Reply to
Paul

[snip the rest of an excellent explanation]

I'm thinking you are very likely correct. Joined a PC forum for the first time in my life, and they were very helpful. Although initially suggested trying everything I'd already done by Googling. Then mentioned it was likely ex mining and the bios altered, and in no way should have been described as new.

With hindsight, some pointers as received. No maker's box. No anti-static bag. Covers for the HDMI and MB connectors missing. And no instructions - all the things you'd discard when fitting.

Since it will take some time to get an Ebay refund, I bought a brand new DVI GPU from a respected Ebay seller for only a little more. Arrived the next day, and worked right out of the box. Windows found and installed the correct driver all by itself, and I now have my monitor running on the resolution I want.

I feel a bit sorry for the Ebay seller. I've been in touch about returning it, and he sounds like a youngster trying to make a buck out of re-selling these cards. Had he put it back to standard, and it had worked OK here, I'd not have known. Or cared.

Good news is the new GPU not only works just fine with my DVI KVM switch, but also isn't upset by the splitter I have on the DVI monitor lead which sends an HDMI output to the TV above the workbench.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)