Windows 11 coming soon, Windows 10 retiring from 2025

When Windows 10 was introduced Microsoft said it would be the final Windows version so why not just simply say that it's a major Windows 10 update, whic it seems to be on the face of it.

I accept that existing computers will have to meet certain minimum criterian like a minimum of 64 Gig of storage and 4 Gig of Ram etc to run it, but most computers have those minimums anyway.

Bod

That is not what I read this morning. Windows 11 is going to take a very modern computer processor. It will install on lesser systems but not recommended. There was even a mention of a Microsoft computer that they are still selling for about $ 3500 that it is not recommended for.

There is suppose to be a program you can run to see if your computer is a recommended minimum.

For my use I would still like Windoes XP. All I want is the operating system to let me run the programs I want. Several of the programs I most often use will not even run on Windows 10, especially if there is anything to do with the sound .

I was talking to a friend today and Windows updated a day or so ago and 'broke' a program that uses the sound system that had been working fine.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A friend has a 4 year old gaming computer and the app said it isn't worthy.

For some computers you can enable a software TPM in the BIOS, and some motherboards have the 19 pin header for the hardware module. I read today that Dell doesn't allow you to enable it.

Reply to
rbowman

It's like all the previous new versions. There is the list of Microsoft minimum requirements and then there is what it really takes to run it well enough for a good experience. I have an i7 desktop that's probably 7 years old, I have no worries that it will run on that. I updated it from 7 to 10 no problems. This new version, from what I've heard so far, isn't anything with radically new features that are going to require a lot more power. Main things are they changed the screen again, moved the start menu to the middle and it will run Android apps. I suppose if you put on some Android app that requires a lot of CPU and it's running an emulator to make that work, that might be an exception, but won't affect me. And it's free. I remember all the hoopla from the MSFT bashers back when Win 10 came out, claiming that MSFT was going to screw us all, put ads up on the screen, because that was free. That hasn't happened.

Reply to
trader_4

Being able to run Win 10 does not mean you'll be able to run Win 11. Use the compatibility tool to see if your system is capable. Many Win 10 systems are not.

A few of the requirements that are tripping people up are:

  1. Only specific CPUs are supported. MS has provided a list.
  2. TPM 2.0 is required. Best case, you have it and only needs to be enabled.
  3. A MSA (Microsoft Account) is required.

The rest of the requirements, as well as the compat tool, are available if you scroll down on the following link.

Jim Joyce

For me, 7 was as good as it gets. 8 was a step down from there, and 10 was an even bigger step down from 8. Both 8 and 10 are generally usable, but the list of tweaks is long and fluid, especially for 10 since it's been such a moving target.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

See if your CPU is on the approved list. If not, Win 11 will simply refuse to install. The same with the other hard (and somewhat arbitrary) requirements such as TPM 2.0 and an MSA.

down to the bottom of the page to get the compatibility app)

That hasn't happened because they took advantage of an even better way to monetize their users. They greatly expanded the CEIP - Customer Experience Improvement Program, and as a result they collect tons of information about how and when people use their computers, when they use it, where they go on the Internet, and tons more. Mostly, the info is aggregated before it's sold off, or that's at least what they say. Some of the personal data collection can be turned off, but much of it can't.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

They said Win10 would be the last version, just updates to win10, and I'm going to hold them to their word.

Reply to
micky

I see that they've updated the compatibility tool today. Yesterday, it simply said my 2-year old Win 10 system wasn't compatible. No other reason given. Running the tool today, I see that it's complaining that I don't have Secure Boot. Next time I reboot, I'll take a look and see if I can enable that.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

To see what the problem(s) is/are, you can download and run this other tool.

Scroll down and click 'Download here' for the *.exe file

Run it.

Note: If using Win10, Smart Screen/Edge/Chrome may complain, just wade through the options to Allow( Keep, and Keep anyway)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The big issue will be "secure boot" which MUST be supported in order to run Windows 11. My current Acer M4 I7 does not support secure boot

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Were you able to download and run that utility? Firefox should have been able to get it.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I ran across this other utility that goes into more detail about any gating issues.

Scroll down and click 'Download here' for the *.exe file

Run it.

Note: If using Win10, Smart Screen/Edge/Chrome may complain, just wade through the options to Allow( Keep, and Keep anyway)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Then again, maybe not, Ralph may be right. I downloaded the MSFT utility that tells you if you can install Win11 and it said no, my i7 system lacks "secure boot", whatever that is. Reading the articles, that's one of the show stoppers. So is the lack of some kind of "trust" hardware that's only be on systems for the last several years. So we may be screwed. I also saw an article that said some systems may have the secure boot in the bios, but you need to enable it. Will take a look at that when I get a chance. But mine most likely doesn't have the trust module widget, though I also saw that some systems had a header on the MB and you can buy one for $20.

It does seem to me that MSFT did this to put money in their pockets. If you can upgrade for free, they don't get paid. If you buy a new system, the OEM is paying them for Windows. So most likely this system will stay with Win10, which I think MSFT has said they will support until 2025.

Reply to
trader_4

Right. I ran it and it says my HP i7 system that's maybe 6 years old doesn't have secure boot. And if it did, I'm almost certain it doesn't have the TPM.

Reply to
trader_4

Actually, I take that back. They just screwed me, my i7 can't be updated to Win11. If it could be, MSFT's free promise would not get them any revenue. But by requiring TPM, secure boot, etc, they force you to buy a new system to get Win11 and then they get $$ from the OEMs that have to pay for Win11. Is any of that really essential to Win11, ie what exactly does it do that we all need? My first thought is that when Win10 and my system no longer get security updates to look at moving to an Android tablet. Probably a lot of other people will do that too.

Reply to
trader_4

No question they made it to make more money. I have no problem with that but do they have to do it in a manner that causes everlasting enmity of their customers?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Oooo. Thanks.

Windows Defender complained, but two extra clicks got past that.

Here is a sample of the problems people might have. At least I do.

It says I have Legacy booting. This box actually can boot two ways, and it was set for tne newer way when I got it. I changed it to legacy to solve some problem, probably the crashing, and though it did not help, I couldn't manage to set it back again. :-( Would I be better off if I managed to change the booting back to the newer method? (The crashing may have stopped.)

Under Disk Partition, it says it can't find my GPT. I presume it's referring to the system drive, which is SSD. I don't know how that affects GPT.

Under Secure Boot, it says disabled/not detected. IIRC, turing that off had some big advantage for me. ???

Under TPM (??) it says version 1.2 detected, and apparently that's not good enough.

It had a quest ion mark for th eCPU. i5-4590 @ 3.30 GHz. I think I had to get old in order to get a DVD drive.

Reply to
micky

I think most of us will but who knows what will happen when they stop supporting it in 4 years. They had gone off the model of making us pay for upgrades but now appear to be trying to go back too it. Apple and Android don't do this as far as I know.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

All I got were green boxes (OK), red boxes (x), and one orange box with a question mark. Are you sure it was an exclamation mark?

Reply to
micky