Useless things found on ebay number 437

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I bought something like that online for my headphones. It was

50% off if bought with the headphones. About a meter long, and it came with 2 female plugs. When I asked for my money back they said "the ad never said it was compatible". Annoying, but U$ 5 is not enough to get my blood pressure up. The shop lost a customer, though. []'s
Reply to
Shadow

I take revenge on principal, for one reason so nobody else gets conned - somebody could need something urgently. I simply click Ebay's "return this item" and state it's not as described. This 99% of the time makes the seller concerned (unsolved complaints where Ebay has to intervene increases the fee percentage for the seller in future, and can eventually make them lose their account).

I once bought an adapter to convert two molex power plugs to a 6 pin graphics card power plug. When it arrived, it was wired up incorrectly. Both the 5V and 12V lines from the molex (PSU end) were connected together to feed the graphics card end's 12V pins. When I sent the seller a message about it, informing them it would have shorted the 5V and 12V lines, I was told "if it's a good power supply it can handle it". I told Ebay they were selling a product which could damage people's expensive equipment or possibly cause a fire. Ebay returned my money, I kept the adapter, rewired it properly, and it worked fine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We needed some light bulb adaptors so bulbs with a SES (small Edison screw) could be used in LBC and SBC (large/small bayonet connector) socket.

We bought some and everyone one of them tripped the circuit breaker in the consumer unit as soon as a bulb was screwed in. On closer examination, I saw that the metal contact that touched the tip of the screw fitting was mounted too high so as the bulb was screwed in, the contact distorted so part of it touched the screw of the bulb as well as the tip - instant short circuit.

I sent very clear feedback to Amazon that this product was dangerous and not fit for purpose. I never heard anything back, but I saw that the item was no longer for sale after that.

Reply to
NY

Ouch. I imagine if you hadn't screwed it in as tightly, or some of them weren't quite as badly made as yours, you could have caused an arc which could overheat and melt the fitting.

I don't like things that could catch fire when I'm not around, burning down my house, but I never bother objecting to other things like electric shocks. For example I have a 15W "corn on the cob" style LED bulb still in use that I bought a few years ago on Ebay. The LEDs are bare - you can touch them (and their live ends). They're in series - fed from a 150V DC rather simply made capacitive dropper. If you touch the right bits of it, you get that across your fingers - i.e. the mains, a capacitor, a resistor, then you. Not sure how much current would flow, but it was enough to make me jump, enough that if I was on a ladder I would have jumped off it. I guess 15W at 150V would be about 100mA (which the health and softy folk claim is lethal - yeah maybe if you're 90 years old with a dicky ticker).

So Amazon didn't even bother refunding you? Ebay are a lot better, you get your money back the instant they believe something isn't what it's advertised as.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable. The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a common scenario!

Reply to
Peter

And if it's 1.1" too short? ;-) You clearly haven't read Murphy's laws.

I'm not so sure about the price anyway. I can get a 10m DVI cable for only twice the price of that adapter. Presumably I can get a 5m cable for about the same price as the adapter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have not had any problems with Amazon except one time. Grandson wanted a batery powered toy. The batery was supose to be rechargable. Would not recharge. Sent back and got money back in a short period of time.

I ordered 2 things off ebay that never came. They were both under $ 10 and I received a refund in a week or two.

I ordered some electrical connectors that were advertised as the wrong size off ebay for about $ 10. Sent note to seller. Told him I could still use them as it would cost almost as much to send back as they cost.Said they may want to update their ad. A week later they had checked the size , said thank you , keep the item and were refunding the money.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The picture looks like a gender changer, but the description is male to male, so no change. Maybe just a mis print. Lots of that comes From China and you have to convert the Chinglesh to something you cn understand.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In message <qrei00$ro7$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 13:26:07 on Sun, 24 Nov

2019, Peter snipped-for-privacy@fakeaddress.com remarked:

Alternatively, if you have some equipment with a recessed socket, adding one of these permanently will make it closer to the surface and easier to plug/unplug a cable into.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Look closely at the pins. One is the reverse layout from the other.

Why, I have no clue :-(

Reply to
""Retired"
[snip]

If the ADAPTER is male to male, then plugging it into n existing female would give you male. That sounds like a change.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Isn't this a 'port saver'? Fix it to the equipment so that continual plugging and unplugging wears that, not the port on the equipment.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Commonly used to permanently mount to a device, to avoid wear and tear on the fixed connector where the cable is removed and replaced frequently. Could also be useful to stand off an unusually wide-bodied connector that doesn't fit into a recessed port.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That would make sense, if it was sold as such. But it says "adapter". It does not adapt in any way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What I have had problems with is HDMI plugs. Every single HDMI plug I've seen is unnecessarily huge (perhaps some shielding?). Try this - a motherboard where the PCI express socket for the graphics card is in the uppermost position (I always buy ones with them in the 2nd position from the top now). Place this motherboard in 50% of cases where the area where the back of the cards have sockets is inset by half an inch. The topmost card thus has almost zero space to the side of it. You cannot fit an HDMI plug in there. Only solutions? New MB, new case, or put the graphics card in the usually slower secondary slot. Somebody really f***ed up there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Perhaps its made of magic oxygen free wire gold plated to compensate for the crap used in the original? It might thus be a Russ Andrews special. Grin

Brian

Have you heard that song by Weird All, simply called-Bay.

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

One wonders then why the seller did not simply wire it correctly. Sometimes though there are times when what looks like an error is deliberate due to the mis specification. I won't bore you with details, but back in the old zx spectrum days, we used to make and sell a pcb to allow some interfaces made for the Sinclair spectrum, work on the newer Amstrad ones.This meant that 12 v was on a supply marked 5v. The point was that the supply in fact had never been 5 v, although if you had put it on that pin, it still worked, it was always 12 v. The number of times we had to explain this made me feel like an endless tape loop. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Amazon are fairly good, usually. I guess clipping the end off the tip contact was a fix, but I've never liked ES sockets for the slipshod way they are often made. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Actually, part of it is a right-angle adapter.

It has two actually, so you can't tell because they go in opposite directions.

Reply to
micky