Useless things found on ebay number 437

This apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I bought something like that online for my headphones. It was

50% off if bought with the headphones. About a meter long, and it came with 2 female plugs. When I asked for my money back they said "the ad never said it was compatible". Annoying, but U$ 5 is not enough to get my blood pressure up. The shop lost a customer, though. []'s
Reply to
Shadow

I take revenge on principal, for one reason so nobody else gets conned - somebody could need something urgently. I simply click Ebay's "return this item" and state it's not as described. This 99% of the time makes the seller concerned (unsolved complaints where Ebay has to intervene increases the fee percentage for the seller in future, and can eventually make them lose their account).

I once bought an adapter to convert two molex power plugs to a 6 pin graphics card power plug. When it arrived, it was wired up incorrectly. Both the 5V and 12V lines from the molex (PSU end) were connected together to feed the graphics card end's 12V pins. When I sent the seller a message about it, informing them it would have shorted the 5V and 12V lines, I was told "if it's a good power supply it can handle it". I told Ebay they were selling a product which could damage people's expensive equipment or possibly cause a fire. Ebay returned my money, I kept the adapter, rewired it properly, and it worked fine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We needed some light bulb adaptors so bulbs with a SES (small Edison screw) could be used in LBC and SBC (large/small bayonet connector) socket.

We bought some and everyone one of them tripped the circuit breaker in the consumer unit as soon as a bulb was screwed in. On closer examination, I saw that the metal contact that touched the tip of the screw fitting was mounted too high so as the bulb was screwed in, the contact distorted so part of it touched the screw of the bulb as well as the tip - instant short circuit.

I sent very clear feedback to Amazon that this product was dangerous and not fit for purpose. I never heard anything back, but I saw that the item was no longer for sale after that.

Reply to
NY

Ouch. I imagine if you hadn't screwed it in as tightly, or some of them weren't quite as badly made as yours, you could have caused an arc which could overheat and melt the fitting.

I don't like things that could catch fire when I'm not around, burning down my house, but I never bother objecting to other things like electric shocks. For example I have a 15W "corn on the cob" style LED bulb still in use that I bought a few years ago on Ebay. The LEDs are bare - you can touch them (and their live ends). They're in series - fed from a 150V DC rather simply made capacitive dropper. If you touch the right bits of it, you get that across your fingers - i.e. the mains, a capacitor, a resistor, then you. Not sure how much current would flow, but it was enough to make me jump, enough that if I was on a ladder I would have jumped off it. I guess 15W at 150V would be about 100mA (which the health and softy folk claim is lethal - yeah maybe if you're 90 years old with a dicky ticker).

So Amazon didn't even bother refunding you? Ebay are a lot better, you get your money back the instant they believe something isn't what it's advertised as.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The only valid use I can think of: Just what you need if your setup causes a cable you already own to be 1" too short. If the equipment is rack mounted, the only options might be the adapter or a longer cable. The adapter is cheaper than buying a longer cable. Admittedly not a common scenario!

Reply to
Peter

And if it's 1.1" too short? ;-) You clearly haven't read Murphy's laws.

I'm not so sure about the price anyway. I can get a 10m DVI cable for only twice the price of that adapter. Presumably I can get a 5m cable for about the same price as the adapter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have not had any problems with Amazon except one time. Grandson wanted a batery powered toy. The batery was supose to be rechargable. Would not recharge. Sent back and got money back in a short period of time.

I ordered 2 things off ebay that never came. They were both under $ 10 and I received a refund in a week or two.

I ordered some electrical connectors that were advertised as the wrong size off ebay for about $ 10. Sent note to seller. Told him I could still use them as it would cost almost as much to send back as they cost.Said they may want to update their ad. A week later they had checked the size , said thank you , keep the item and were refunding the money.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The picture looks like a gender changer, but the description is male to male, so no change. Maybe just a mis print. Lots of that comes From China and you have to convert the Chinglesh to something you cn understand.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In message <qrei00$ro7$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 13:26:07 on Sun, 24 Nov

2019, Peter snipped-for-privacy@fakeaddress.com remarked:

Alternatively, if you have some equipment with a recessed socket, adding one of these permanently will make it closer to the surface and easier to plug/unplug a cable into.

Reply to
Roland Perry

One of the main reasons I don't use Amazon, I never worked out how to tell who I was buying from. Plus I just can't get the hang of their website, it looks too plain, I feel like I'm back using the net in the 90s. And the feedback for each seller is nowhere near as comprehensive. That and things always cost more, as their seller fees are higher than Ebay.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Look closely at the pins. One is the reverse layout from the other.

Why, I have no clue :-(

Reply to
Anonymous

More expensive, less range, harder to use website, worse customer service, er.... the advantage is?

Where? It's the most unintuitive piece of shit I've ever used. Mind you, I don't understand Apple devices either. I guess it's a different way of thinking?

It's a very good reason. Ease of use is very important. I can find what I want on Ebay in a fraction of the time. If I'm searching for several specific things, it could take an hour on Amazon or 10 minutes on Ebay.

I don't care about the item. I care about the seller. Will it arrive on time, in one piece, and will he honour a warranty? Anyway, if the item is shit, then no doubt everything he sells is shit too.

Every time I've gone to compare prices, Ebay is about 10% less.

If I can find them.

that is a major drawback I forgot to mention. Very often on Ebay I will search for a widget, then narrow it own by size/capacity/etc until there's a reasonable number to look through.

What's that to do with Amazon? Don't the sellers send you it themselves?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
[snip]

If the ADAPTER is male to male, then plugging it into n existing female would give you male. That sounds like a change.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

That (having a problem with Amazon orders from third-party sellers) has happened to me 3 times IIRC:

1 (little cameras that were cheap useless junk) returned and credited 2 (DVDs that never arrived) credited 3 (defective photo printer) credited with no return required
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Funny how I have precisely the opposite experience. I've tried on several occasions to find a particular item on both for comparison - a power tool, a computer part, etc. Ebay always has more options at a cheaper price, and they're easier to find.

Yeah well that's what Amazon was made for, it was originally just a book store. I don't buy books. If I wanted books I'd download them for free.

I tried to sell things on Amazon once (custom built PCs), I worked out they were going to charge me roughly TWICE what Ebay do in seller fees. No thanks.

No such problem in Ebay, I know it's from the seller.

Nope, most people don't like Apple interfaces. The only ONE SINGLE THING I've ever seen that makes sense on Apple is the dialog boxes. Say you get a dialog box that says "Are you sure, yes or no", or "ok or cancel", whatever. On Apple, the affirmative action is on the right, where you'd expect, like the accelerator in a car is on the right for more speed. In Windows it's on the left, and I've never got used to it, despite almost always using windows, because everything else in life is right for more, like the volume control on my stereo. I always press the wrong f****ng button in Windows.

Same thing, Ebay is more colourful and very quick for me to spot what to click.

Just tried that. On Ebay, I typed "8TB external hard disk", then just clicked "UK", "cheapest first", "buy it now" (as in no auctions), "new". 41 results. Quick scroll to the one that looks good. 30 seconds.

On Amazon, I typed "8TB external hard disk", then er.... where is the country of origin? Cheapest first worked. I guess they don't do auctions? I guess they don't do used? So that's 1 out of 4 options I found. 293 results, not very well refined. And only 16 results per page. Ebay shows 200. And most of Amazon's 293 results aren't even what I was looking for! Why am I getting 4TB drives showing up when I typed 8TB? I lost interest before finding a single drive that I needed. Fail. Utter fail.

Nope, that's quite simple. It might say "1TB to 8TB, £20 to £60" Pretty obvious the 8TB will be £60.

A seller will sell shit and only shit, or good stuff. And if I want something specific I'll already know the make and model I'm after, or I'll look that up on a review site when I spot a good looking deal on ebay.

Then you do what I do, either pick one in advance that you want, or scan through Ebay, look one up and decide it sux, then scroll down to more expensive ones and look them up on a review site or use the specs the seller lists.

Bollocks. Ebay says "next day delivery", or "3 day delivery" etc quite clearly on each item.

Sellers either pride themselves in selling good stuff to get a good reputation, or they sell cheap shit to rip you off.

I've never tried those, but I've tried several times with computer parts and tools.

It doesn't tell you until you open each item if it's them or someone else. And I can't see any way to limit it to Amazon sales only in the search.

Get to f*ck. I buy what I want to buy, not what pops up in front of me. Which is why I detest supermarkets putting stuff on sale on seperate portable racks on the end of the aisles I'm not interested in. And often nowhere near the similar items, so I see offers for makeup when I'm trying to buy toilet rolls.

I don't need words in most cases. For example I can select disk capacity in the column on the left. Or if I need words, let's say I want a drill bit, and a load of SDS drill bits come up. My drill ain't SDS, so I just add "-SDS" in the search bar and press enter. All SDS bits now vanish from the results.

It was you that said it was briefer.

It really doesn't interest me where it comes from. I pay the money and it appears at my door.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Isn't this a 'port saver'? Fix it to the equipment so that continual plugging and unplugging wears that, not the port on the equipment.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Commonly used to permanently mount to a device, to avoid wear and tear on the fixed connector where the cable is removed and replaced frequently. Could also be useful to stand off an unusually wide-bodied connector that doesn't fit into a recessed port.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's been my experience. I ordered several Photon Micro Lights. One was an obvious Chinese knock-off. One email to Amazon and I was credited, no return necessary. I also noticed that vendor was no longer on the site.

Many Chinese products are perfectly fine but there are always vendors trying to slip in junk. What has always puzzled me is it takes quite a bit of work to make a crappy copy of something like the Photon light. Why not do a little more and make it credible?

Reply to
rbowman

That would make sense, if it was sold as such. But it says "adapter". It does not adapt in any way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey