Useless things found on ebay number 437

What I have had problems with is HDMI plugs. Every single HDMI plug I've seen is unnecessarily huge (perhaps some shielding?). Try this - a motherboard where the PCI express socket for the graphics card is in the uppermost position (I always buy ones with them in the 2nd position from the top now). Place this motherboard in 50% of cases where the area where the back of the cards have sockets is inset by half an inch. The topmost card thus has almost zero space to the side of it. You cannot fit an HDMI plug in there. Only solutions? New MB, new case, or put the graphics card in the usually slower secondary slot. Somebody really f***ed up there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yep, you actually are that stupid.

Try an 8TB external seagate hard drive.

And then have the decency to disembowel yourself.

Ditto with Hue stuff.

That's wrong too.

Wrong, as always.

Most of the best of them arent downloadable for free.

Clearly isnt the case with Seagate and Phillips.

Only because ebay doesn't sell stuff itself, stupid;

Yep.

That's a bare faced lie with iOS,

That's because you actually are that stupid.

The other very useful thing is that with an incoming phone call or text you are free to take it on your phone, or your mac or even start the response on one and finish it on the other if that is a useful thing to do.

Any decent UI defaults to the safe option so you just click or tap on the default.

Only a fool farts around moving the cursor or focus to the one it wants.

Corse it isnt.

Bullshit it is.

Only because you have wanked yourself completely blind.

The one click buy button on amazon stands out like dogs balls.

I did that with one click, sort by lowest price with shipping.

Its irrelevant, what matters is the time to arrive and that stands out like dog balls on amazon.

Corse not, so you don't have to fart around like that.

They do actually and you can see those on the individual page.

You don't need the other ones.

And a much better price than ebay.

Yep.

Now try that with something like a li ion battery charger where the sort on price is sorted on the lowest price, just the usb cable and you need to go into the item page to see what the charger without any battery costs.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

Bullshit you do with the cheapest stuff.

Doest work with the cheapest stuff,

Not possible.

Useless in this case, The seller says to ask the seller for the software and its only the reviews that say they respond.

No reviews.

Pity about stuff from china that isnt either.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something, particularly with those that sell lots of different stuff.

But are too stupid to have noticed that amazon often does have the best price, particularly with the stuff they sell themselves.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

No point in doing that.

Then you are an even bigger fool than usual when that is something useful.

Then you should do the decent thing and set fire to yourself outside their front door.

You do to produce a reasonable number to look thru.

Plenty of stuff doesn't have such unique key words.

That's why I posted that, to say it isnt always so.

Must be why you selected UK with the hard drive.

At your hovel, actually,,

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never seen that with DVI, all plugs are pretty much the same size.

But you also shield the connector. Being next to the device, it's probably more likely to pick up interference there.

What case and motherboard do you have?

It's the better bigger fancier full tower cases that have the problem. The more compact cases don't have the indent.

**50%** of cases have the problem.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's what it looks like to me

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Perhaps its made of magic oxygen free wire gold plated to compensate for the crap used in the original? It might thus be a Russ Andrews special. Grin

Brian

Have you heard that song by Weird All, simply called-Bay.

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

One wonders then why the seller did not simply wire it correctly. Sometimes though there are times when what looks like an error is deliberate due to the mis specification. I won't bore you with details, but back in the old zx spectrum days, we used to make and sell a pcb to allow some interfaces made for the Sinclair spectrum, work on the newer Amstrad ones.This meant that 12 v was on a supply marked 5v. The point was that the supply in fact had never been 5 v, although if you had put it on that pin, it still worked, it was always 12 v. The number of times we had to explain this made me feel like an endless tape loop. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Amazon are fairly good, usually. I guess clipping the end off the tip contact was a fix, but I've never liked ES sockets for the slipshod way they are often made. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I never got a cd from a seller on Amazon, they looked into it and sent me another, It had, apparently been sent from Australia, and have vanished before it got to me. At that time Amazon were not in Oz. Second time I bought a western digital external back up drive. It was dead on arrival, I suspected the power supply, but they told me to send it back as is, and before I'd even got the return stuff through, another working onne appeared. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Actually, part of it is a right-angle adapter.

It has two actually, so you can't tell because they go in opposite directions.

Reply to
micky

I once got a router (Asus) from Amazon, that was not quite dead on arrival just comatose. The lights came on, but no network access. There was no problem getting it replaced. Just a month ago, I got a DVD set with a problem (two disks were duplicated and another two were missing). That also went well. I have not had even one instance where Amazon didn't send a replacement or a credit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Perhaps, but it's sold as an adapter. The seller is not responding to my query.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Presumably the seller of my adapter had no clue about basic electricity. Errr.... that's the live and that's the neutral? Nevermind that a computer power supply has more than one live. There's 3.3, 5, and 12V at least.

I'm not sure what you mean, this was an unused pin marked 5V that was later used for 12? And I thought the spectrum was 9V? Did it boost to 12 somewhere inside?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've never liked them as they gradually unscrew with vibration.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, well if he'd labelled it as a dual orthogonal rotation realigner, I would have understood.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't call having to ask three times for what you were entitled to, a good result.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have ordered lots of things from China and a few other places outside the US and even some of the US places seem like they are really outside the US.

As mentioned you have to really look over the item and descriptions. The conversion to Chinglesh often leaves a lot to be desired. If you are not sure , you should pass it up. Many times they will show a picture of more than one item and it will be for only one, or they may show a case or cover for something like a cell phone and you will be mislead to think you are getting both items if you do not look hard at the description .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Maybe it depends how tight you put them in, and the quality of the thread. I only had three, which were here when I moved in. Spotlights (large edison screw, 60W tungsten, which I later put in CFL then LED) in the kitchen ceiling. They could have been very old and or shit fittings. I often had one bulb go off, and had to tighten it a little.

But they didn't have a bulb hanging vertically, using gravity to make the vibrations move it out of the screw thread.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

This was when Amazon started up?

I'll stick with Ebay, they're French, much more trustworthy than the yanks :-)

I detest offers and vouchers and all that shit. They either encourage people to buy what they don't need, or they're for things people don't buy. And they're unnecessary paperwork both for the customer and the shop. I go where things are a consistently lower price. Remember the Aldi advert?

Commander Kinsey

Ebay is and always has been international.

Why would the Russians punish me for hating the yanks?

But I CHOSE to buy them. I didn't buy them because someone said "half price!"

I'm talking about when I go into a supermarket and get vouchers for a steak after having bought bread and toilet rolls.

Hang on, an Amazon Echo? Like the Alexa that spies on you?

And remember the voucher, or the code, etc. I always leave the f****ng card for Morrisons supermarket in the car. And the checkout girl always suggests I should bring the receipt in next time and present it at the customer service desk to get my points. And I always tell her I ain't queueing for half an hour to save 20p.

I really can't be bothered watching for half price stuff. Surely you wanted the echo say 6 months ago, but it wasn't half price. Why did you happen to want one just now?

All supermarkets here have the same odd thing out of stock, they're all as bad as each other.

I just can't be bothered with all that. I go to where it's ALWAYS cheaper. I know I always get cheese at Lidl, etc.

Way too much effort.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@military.org.jp> wrote

So is Amazon. But Amazon also has immense warehouses stuffed with what they sell and they have rolled those out gradually across the world. Obviously the USA first, then in most of the bigger european countrys with us only a couple of years ago.

They still don’t have more than one here but are planning another soon.

None in New Zealand yet.

It isnt just the russians that have gulags, stupid.

Just as true of the specials..

I CHOSE to buy the echo dot because I wanted to see how well it worked compared with the alternatives and it made sense to get one for half price too. It is in fact the main thing I use for food cooking timing and other stuff like the time of day and the current temperature and forecast,.

It also has a much better set of mics than the iphone so I can tell it what to do from the other side of the very large main room with the kitchen off one side of the L shaped room absolutely stuffed with a massive amount of sound absorbing stuff.

Doesn’t do the room temps as well tho. Siri does that much better, telling you the range of room temps when you say Room Temp or you can ask for the temperature of the specific rooms. It gets those from the Hue movement sensors that I have for my lights.

I also have a couple of google home minis and I got those by getting 5% off at Bunnings when another half price offer from Amazon turned up in the email. They do complex multi part queries much better. You can ask when say Queen Liz was born and then in an extra query ask ;when did she marry' without spelling out who she is again.

We get those as well and the saving can be worthwhile. Almost as convenient to use, just wave the voucher at the self checkout terminal when you scan it.

Yep.

Nope, just listens to you questions or commands which have Alexa in front of them

Not with the Amazon offers in the emails, just tap the link and then the 1 click buy button.

Even you should be able to manage that if someone was actually stupid enough to lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Mine is in the phone that I pay with.

I only use manned checkouts at Aldi because they are too stupid to have any selfcheckouts.

I have enough of a clue have it on the phone and the self checkout reminds you to scan it.

I don’t watch, just read the emails.

I had read a comment someone made about how the echos did some stuff better than the others and had always intended to have at least one of each to try them for myself and the offer happened to turn up at the right time.

Aldi is much worse in fact They don’t stock chutney regularly, you have to get it when its on special buys.

And there is just one type of marmalade, no choice at all.

There is no such place.

But you don’t get the same range to choose from there.

No effort at all. Just scan the web site once a week. Even you should be able to manage that between wanks.

Reply to
Rod Speed