Cordless drill

Anyone recommend a decent light duty cordless drill? My elderly & several times repaired B&D gave up the ghost today ...

Reply to
Huge

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want/need hammer action?

Reply to
Grunff

Not much if he's a B&D freak. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

really depends what youre planning to do with it, as I found from rather short changed experience.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

At the budget end of the drill/driver market, I bought a Wickes own brand (the grey one, ~16v) a few years back and have had no trouble with it, it's been a useful tool and a good buy. It's been used mostly on timber, drilling, sinking and screw driving. Plenty torque for a corless, even with a spade bit. It does have a hammer actiopn but I've never used it.

Can't remember how much it was, it was reduced as end of line clearance as all their cordless tools were moving up to 18 or 24v, so it may be less budget than I thought.

Reply to
urchaidh

I don't think that you'd be disappointed with one of the Makita 14.4v models.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bought myself a 16.8V Spear and Jackson (probably a rebadged generic) from Robert Dyas on offer for ú19.99 - comes with 2 batteries

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Unless you're looking to spend real money, have a look at the sheds 18v offerings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Buy the most expensive Makita known to man. That will do you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Probably a OTT for what you want and not a recommendation but might suit someone else; 24v codless hammer drill with 2 speeds, 2 batts and a 5 year guarantee (!) for £29.99

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

That would be foolish. Sometimes I wish I'd bought a Makita rather than Bosch though.

Reply to
Matt

I wouldn't buy anything you recommend.

Anyway, I bought a Wickes own-brand 18V jobby, reduced from 40-some pounds to £26. It's drilled several hundred holes and driven screws into them through hardwood decking this afternoon without any apparent problem. Other than the scabby screwdriver bit adaptor failing (the hexagonal bit goes round inside the round bit...) But I have several of those, so no big deal.

All I need now is a 160mm dia/16 mm bore circular saw blade for my Bosch saw, since none of the sheds seem to sell them.

Reply to
Huge

D&M tools

have Freud Pro blades in that size - 12,24 &

40 tooth. Between £14 and £24. Expect Axminster will sell them as well.
Reply to
RichardS

Reply to
Grunff

[25 lines snipped]

Fank you kindly, good Sir.

Reply to
Huge

Then buy the cheapest drill known to man then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ah. That explains why my drill smells of fish. I didn't buy the codless version..

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

I have a Bosch PSR14.4VE2 and it does the job for me. It's quite powerful enough for a lot of DIY. I would recommend that you get one with two batteries so that you don't have to wait around for it to charge.

M.

Reply to
Mark