Frost free fridge freezer: where is it??

Hi

Where is the defrost timer on a Hotpoint FF08P frost free fridge freezer? I've looked everywhere but cant find it.

There is a 'Hotpoint Defrost stat & Fuse N1548' with 4 wires, but presumably that ends the defrost cycle rather than initiates it, since its a stat not a timer. There are 2 other similar looking blocks, each with 2 wires, but what they are I dont know. 2 wires doesnt say timer to me though.

Am trying to fix one where the freezer wont chill, fan doesnt run, no volts getting to the fan, but googling hasnt thrown up any cct diagram, manual, etc, so am left guessing a bit.

thanks, NT

ps have checked the repairfaq, have googled

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com ha escrito:

Check this document:

you will find a picture of the defrost timer you need.

(You need Adobe Reader to open the file)

Reply to
lsmartino

I dunno but I've heard that Beko's are rebadged Hotpoints. The reason I mentioned this is that my Beko has a couple of times got bogged down in a defrost cycle where it refuses to finish the defrost, and the whole freezer compartment idles along at about 0C for days, defrosting all the food. I've not quite worked out the mechanism, but the answer is to take all the food out of the freezer, and the drawers, take the panel off the back, and defrost the heatexchanger and thermostatic switch manually, takes 5 minutes with a hairdryer. You don't even need to take the back panel off, just blow hot air in the fan aperture for 5 minutes. Maybe you have the same problem I did, worth a try,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Andy ha escrito:

In your case, the problem is that your freezer DOESN=B4T initiates a defrost cicle, so there is a frost buildup which blocks the airflow through the evaporator. That=B4s why the food thaws, and that=B4s why the hairdryer trick works, because you are manually defrosting the evaporator, and restoring the airflow through it.

Reply to
lsmartino

Makes me think, I'll have to check but in my case I dont think the defrost element was on, suggesting it may not be the defrost timer at fault.

I think Im gonna have to just try and trace out what cct I can, as I'm getting nothing online. Going to be difficult but thats life.

ta, NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's the point. It wasn't being turned on so frost built up over a week or two and is blocking airflow now so little cooling in the freezer section. A classic.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:
Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

The defrost timer is normally at the back behind one of the fan covers or in a box down by the compressor.

The blocks with 2 wires are thermo fuses,

The timer normally has a knob that can be turned to switch it in and out of defrost manually which is good for testing.

If it has stuck in defrost the thermo fuse may also have blown as its also a safety device.

Reply to
Paul

Usually it's under the floorpan of the freezer.

Reply to
James Sweet

I think you may be confusing mine with his.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean here. This one is different to ff ffs I've seen before, with all the control gear in the same place as the freezer chiller, all accessed by removing the interior back panel. What you say leaves me with 2 possible interpretations:

  1. the 4 wire lump is a timer, even tho its too small to be a mechanical timer, is potted and hermetically sealed, and generally looks nothing like timers I've ever seen before. And I've seen a fair number.
  2. The timer is buried somewhere in the coolant pipes & fan assembly, which would seem an odd place to put mains electrics.

what exactly does thermofuse mean? Presumably a bimetal thermostat, but how does the word fuse come into it? And how are they safety devices, do they go o/c permanently if temp goes too high?

that would fit with all the symptoms. At the moment I'm still trying to figure out which component does what, and where the timer is! Once I know what cct diag I'm dealing with I should be able to troubleshoot it no prob.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

ty. Is it accessed by removing the interior L shaped floorpan? I guess I'll try that anyway, soon as I get the time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Are you suuure there's a timer? Maybe the stat on the evaporator senses when it's iced, and only opens when it's deiced.

Try a search for 'hotpoint fridge freezer' on the forums at:

If that doesn't give the answer, try asking and giving all the details.

If you can post pics there and even measure voltages that should help too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks Pete, I'm headed there. I'm far from convinced theres a timer, maybe its as you say. I dont know how a thermostat would tell when its iced, but ffs arent my subject.

I'd soon sort it by measuring voltages if I had some idea of what the circuit is, but at this point I dont, nor do I know what the 3 bits attached to the evaporator are.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've never seen one that didn't use a timer, UK might be different though, the UK fridges I've seen pics of are significantly different, tiny for one thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well I've made some progress now. What looks like a bit of the timer is visible next to the compressor, right near the top of the space there. When I was looking at it previously I couldnt se the top inch or so at the back because of awkward access angle.

Right now I've got jobs to get done, but once done I'll get back to this ff and see what I can do. Thanks everyone for the help.

NT

Reply to
meow2222