Frost-free fridge/freezers

Do these appliances require any kind of provision to be made for condensate drainage in normal operation? If not, how do they get rid of the frost?
On 12/01/2017 18:58, Chris wrote:

Dribble it into a little tray on top of the warm pump to evaporate? There's not enough to require a proper drain, and there's enough spare heat in the pump to take care of it.
Clive George wrote:

Yup: The water drains into a tray on top of the compressor and evaporates. Best not to buy one though. I can't remember a fridge problem here that has not involved a frost free appliance.

If the fridge is not perfectly horizontal, badly designed (Hotpoint) ones can overflow before they fill.
--
For this race I'm going to be using "beati dogu". Japanese for the ancient art of driving a sports car round a track faster than a greyhound. -- Richard Hammond

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

They do not need to be "perfectly horizontal". Most are not. Is yours?

Most are fine, but I've seen one with a shoddily designed tray which did have to be very level. I redesigned it a little.
--
A young teenager comes home from school and asks her mother, "Is it true what Rita just told me? That babies come out of the same place where boys put their thingies?"
"Yes, dear," replies her mother, pleased that the subject had finally come up and she wouldn't have to explain it.

> We've had a frost free fridge freezer since feb 2004, it's been fault free. It's a Servis.

So better than Hotpoint then.
--
What's the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.

>> I wouldn't know.

Hotpoint is renowned for unreliability, as it's British. Mind you so is Servis?
--
"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm in two jumps" -- David Lloyd George, former UK Prime Minister

Possibly made in Turkey!

Is that any better?
--
Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.

They are just a mass produced appliance.Not a lot to choose between them - it is a matured technology.

I suppose with branding, I have a slight preferance for a brand name that reflects its maker - rather than a hidden source of manufacture but with a misleading brand name stuck on it.

Servis is Turkish! Vestel own the name.
I have a Gorenje Fridge - honestly made and branded from Slovenia.

I thought Servis had gone bankrupt?

And it's good?
--
The word "gymnasium" comes from the? Ancient Greek "gymnos" (naked) and "zein" (to train).
So literally the word "gymnasium" means a "building for naked exercise".

It works - it has the right appearance. Therefore it is fit for purpose.

But how long has it worked?
--
Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.

Only had it 5 years. It is nowt fancy in terms of what it does - it was the colour and appearance that appealed - curved door and top - small ice box inside. The name on it is the name of the maker - whereas Servis is just a stuck on brand name to give some people a warm feeling, http://www.gorenje.co.uk/products/cooling/models/freestanding-fridge- freezers/orb153r/530642
When I go on holiday, I find it interesting to see the appliances in villas and in shops. Often names we do not know - yet they look familiar in most cases. We have a global manufacturing capability and only a few places actually make key things like motors. The brand is of limited significance in my opinion. Read the spec, decide if it suits youand go for it irrespective of the label.

http://www.gorenje.co.uk/products/lines/gorenje-retro-collection
Heck of a lot of Europe have appliances that are every bit as reliable as the UK ones and their customers are as discriminating - perhaps their brands are also good!