Frost-free fridge/freezers

Do these appliances require any kind of provision to be made for condensate drainage in normal operation? If not, how do they get rid of the frost?

Reply to
Chris

Dribble it into a little tray on top of the warm pump to evaporate? There's not enough to require a proper drain, and there's enough spare heat in the pump to take care of it.

Reply to
Clive George

Yup: The water drains into a tray on top of the compressor and evaporates. Best not to buy one though. I can't remember a fridge problem here that has not involved a frost free appliance.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If the fridge is not perfectly horizontal, badly designed (Hotpoint) ones can overflow before they fill.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They do not need to be "perfectly horizontal". Most are not. Is yours?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Most are fine, but I've seen one with a shoddily designed tray which did have to be very level. I redesigned it a little.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So better than Hotpoint then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Hotpoint is renowned for unreliability, as it's British. Mind you so is Servis?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have known the drain through to the back to become choked up on ours. Other than that - no problems.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Possibly made in Turkey!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

Servis is Turkish! Vestel own the name.

I have a Gorenje Fridge - honestly made and branded from Slovenia.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I thought Servis had gone bankrupt?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Is that any better?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It works - it has the right appearance. Therefore it is fit for purpose.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They are just a mass produced appliance.Not a lot to choose between them - it is a matured technology.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I suppose with branding, I have a slight preferance for a brand name that reflects its maker - rather than a hidden source of manufacture but with a misleading brand name stuck on it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

But how long has it worked?

Reply to