Frost Free faucet

I just put in a frost free faucet. It was working OK for a while but then it started to get not come on. If I played with it (off, on, off, on ) then it would come on. Now no matter what I do it won't come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the issue and water does go to the pipe. I'm thinking somehow it is the frost free faucet. Any suggestions on how to repair it?

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

Take it apart. It is a simple hydrant, with a long shaft, and the washer and seat at the inner end. Comes apart like any other washer type faucet.

Reply to
clare

Hi, You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know best what's going on.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I put my car in the garage. Now it won't start.

I'm the one who put it in, I guess I should know best what's going on.

I put my washing machine in the basement. Now it won't wash.

I'm the one who put it in, I guess I should know best what's going on.

Just because the OP installed the faucet doesn't mean he should (or need) to know how it works on the inside.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Return it to Harbor Freight. Get a refund. Stop buying crap from Harbor Freight. It's all junk. Now that that part is done, go to a reputable plumbing supply store and buy a quality faucet. Problem solved!!!!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Just to clarify, I had a plumber put it in. He told me to pick one up from a big box store and he would put it in. I didn't put it in. I also did not buy it from harbor freight, I bought it from Lowes.

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

I didn't buy from harbor freight. I don't even think they sell them there. I bought it from Lowes

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

Good advice except: Ever try to take one apart? The only time I succeeded is after I dug it up, put it in a vice and used a BIG pipe wrench. they are screwed together so tight you can't dissassemble in place. At least I haven't succeded with 4 of mine and I tried them all.

If I ever replace one of my bad ones, I will take it apart and reassemble with reasonable torque before I install it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've had 3 apart.

2 in place. One started to leak one fall when I left the hose connected and we had a hard freeze - it froze and pulled the tube out of the body enough to open the valve. Took it apart - found out what was wrong, pressed it back to the right length, put it back together and no more problem. Replaced washers in 2 others. These are frost-proof hydrants that replace a standard hose-bib coming through the basement wall.
Reply to
clare
1) shut off water to faucet 2) disassemble 3) clean, lube 4) reassemble

.

"JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@l17g2000vbj.googlegroups.com... I just put in a frost free faucet. It was working OK for a while but then it started to get not come on. If I played with it (off, on, off, on ) then it would come on. Now no matter what I do it won't come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the issue and water does go to the pipe. I'm thinking somehow it is the frost free faucet. Any suggestions on how to repair it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One "chinese manufacturer" does not always translate to one factory or one design, or compatible parts.

Reply to
clare

The added complexity is just a longer shaft from the handle to the actual valve.

Reply to
hrhofmann

This is exactly what I did. No idea why it fixed it but it did.

THANKS, for the advice.

Jim

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

That's what I do, for about 90% of my repairs. I'm also not sure why it works, but it's one of universe big secrets.

Thanks for the good news. Glad it worked.

.

"JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h20g2000yqe.googlegroups.com... This is exactly what I did. No idea why it fixed it but it did.

THANKS, for the advice.

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL, seeing as you it has to be taken apart prior to the connection being soldered, umm...

Yeah...

Reply to
Evan

I do not, and they do not recommend, solder to the faucet. Solder a male thread adapter to the pipe and thread the faucet on to it with either joint compound or teflon tape .

Reply to
clare

Nope - not necessarily. Sometimes you can hold the fitting with one wrench inside, and turn it with the second - also from inside. Better yet, thread it up do the pipe, aith a union soldered to a length suitable to get it back where you can work. To remove, undo the union and pull it out.

Reply to
clare

??? care to try posting that in English?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K