Frost-free fridge/freezers

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

Only had it 5 years. It is nowt fancy in terms of what it does - it was the colour and appearance that appealed - curved door and top - small ice box inside. The name on it is the name of the maker - whereas Servis is just a stuck on brand name to give some people a warm feeling,

freezers/orb153r/530642

When I go on holiday, I find it interesting to see the appliances in villas and in shops. Often names we do not know - yet they look familiar in most cases. We have a global manufacturing capability and only a few places actually make key things like motors. The brand is of limited significance in my opinion. Read the spec, decide if it suits youand go for it irrespective of the label.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA6FC9D6BFE3F8TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

Heck of a lot of Europe have appliances that are every bit as reliable as the UK ones and their customers are as discriminating - perhaps their brands are also good!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I rarely choose by brand, except Li-Ion batteries. Panasonic are 100% what they say on the side. Samsung are 80% of the capacity of the label, and unbranded ones can be as low as 20%!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Do you know which word came first though?

P.S. you are indenting yourself.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Vittorio Bertazzoni founded the company in 1948 in the village of Guastalla, Reggio Emilia, Italy. The name is an acronym for Smalterie Metallurgiche Emiliane Guastalla ("Emilian metallurgical enamel works of Guastalla").

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bet loads of people buy it just so they can have Smeg written across the front (in quite large letters).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Doesn't have to be perfectly horizontal, just roughly horizontal.

Reply to
grjw