Power to garage options / advice sought

I need to revamp to get safer and legal power out to the nearby garage - it is impossible to neatly/unobtrusively run a dedicated cable from the existing CU.

Thoughts are...

1) to tap into an existing ring main on that side of the house... put in a (? fused outlet / RCBO ?) and take power though a buried armoured cable to the garage approx 9 mtrs away, ? or provide a local earth and ? a Garage consumer unit with RCCD

2) any other methods using existing "nearby" ring main

3) leave as it is with an extension lead plugged in to a current 13 A socket in house, out through window, across patch of grass ( people keep tripping over it) - i.e. not an option....

I only want approx max 13 A out there for a couple of lights and a socket at the bench for a drill / vacuum cleaner small tools...

Any suggestions ? and what order should / does it have to be tackled in re BCO etc ?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I hate replying like this, but you did say that you wanted a "legal" power supply. Isn't "outside" a special location and will therefore require Building Control approval?

I am going to butt out now, and watch the proper answers, but I think that if I really, really had to do it, I would try very, very hard to get a supply out from the CU.

George

Nick wrote:

Reply to
George

Hi George, Thanks for the reply... By "legal", I mean an install that I can do 90% of myself to a spec that will allow a (?part P) electrician to visit, check/connect up and issue a certificate of compliance to current regs.... It just has to be better than an ageing extension lead draped across the fence / lawn.... As I (seem to) understand it, it is not illegal as it is, but I would feel a lot happier if it were an underground armoured cable with suitable "boxes" at each end

Thanks for the reply, Nick

Reply to
Nick

If you want the cheapest legal way, and you only want to draw 13 amps, then it's called a very long extension lead. If you're concerned of safety then use an (additional?) RCD and compliment the earth with an earth spike.

Reply to
Fred

I quite agree :-)

Reply to
George

A Part P electrician cannot "issue a certificate" for work done by someone else. Either the work must be *done* by a Part P registered electrician (who need not necessarily be competent or qualified) or a Building Regulations application will be needed. Or you ignore Part P entirely.

Mo electrician worth his salt is going to be willing to take responsibility for someone else's handiwork.

Mr Prescott's former department took a different viewpoint.

Owain

Reply to
Owain