Tiling advice sought

Help! I have not done any wall tiling for over 25 years and have forgotten how to do it, would some kind DIYers give me some advice or point me to a site where I can find help?

I felt it better to seek advice before starting the job, my questions are :- I have replaced the kitchen worktops which are just loose ATM, before I fix them is it best to tile down to the worktop and then seal or tile behind the worktop then push the top against the tiles and seal, I assume one should tile down to the top?

Considering the above is it best to start tiling from the worktop and work up or should one fix a level line and work down? If I start from the worktop I might find the top of the tiles uneven and if I work down I will possibly have to cut the tiles!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Reply to
Druid

Tile up from the worktop - it looks silly otherwise.

Hmmm - if your worktop is level and your wall reasonably straight and you get your spacing right (little plastic tile spacers are superb!) then you should end up with a nice even top. I'm pretty sure you can get finishing strips for the tops too which would straighten things out if you are a bit wonky...

CAS

Reply to
CAS

I tiled our kitchen last year. I had never done any tiling previously so was a bit daunted. All the kitchen appliances were in situ, including the triangular shaped hood. The biggest tip I can give is get a decent electric tile cutter with a diamond blade. Forget about the score then snap devices, get a proper one. Without an electric tile cutter I would have probably given up!

Reply to
vw-stuff