Tiling on existing tiles

I've been asked to finish tiling a friends bathroom, where the new ceramic tiles have just been stuck on top of the old (ceramic) tiles. I've not done this before, nor would I out of choice, but he's been left in the lurch so I've said I'll help out. I'm putting in a new wc and cistern, so will tile before I fit those.

Anything in particular to watch out for when tiling over existing tiles? Do I need a special tile cement (it's around/behind the wc in his bathroom).

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
DavidM

They do need to be spotlessly clean so the adhesive can stick properly. Best to stagger the joins so they dont follow the existing joins. Tiling over tiles leaves a 'thick' edge which needs something to finish the edge.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman