Adhesive for tiles on tiles

Any suggestions?

This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over- tiling...

cheers,

cd

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've even tiled on to vinyl (don't ask). Bog standard tub adhesive sticks like the proverbial to both sides of a tile. Try one and see if you can pull it off 24 hours later. Doubt it somehow

Reply to
stuart noble

tub adhesive dries by evaporation? if sandwiched between old impervious glazed tile face and new tile back (in turn with own impervious glazed face), I foresee issues sooner or later...

cementitious adhesive is the way IMHO a flexible type

What's the wall made of? is it up to handling 2 layers of tiles? what size &thickness? are the old tiles and what size & thickness are the intended?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I used BAL Whitestar Plus for tiling my bathroom recently. It says that it is suitable for tiling over existing glazed ceramic tiles.

Yeah the key things are can the surface take the weight of the tiles and the existing tiles being securely fixed.

Reply to
chris French

IME cement based adhesives are outperformed by acrylics in most areas, mainly because they contain very little water and are much lighter. The theory that nothing sticks to glazed surfaces is easy to disprove by sticking two tiles together face to face

Reply to
stuart noble

Or just trying to remove dried on adhesive. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's no issue here with respect to overloading the wall or the original tiling on it. I'm only constructing 'tile skirting' around the room concerned at floor level, so the new tiles will be supported by the floor whilst setting and they will only be 100mm high, anyway. I've no idea what 'cementitious' adhesive is in terms of brand names. I did consider perhaps something from a gun like Sticks Like Sh*t or No More Nails for the purpose? Would they work? And yes, as someone else mentioned, the tile adhesive from a tub I've been using satisfactorily for the original layer of wall tiles does dry be evaporation and does NOT bond tiles to tiles at all well! They pry off easily days later. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom