Tiling on to Hardboard Wall

Can anyone help. I have a hardboard wall and have twice put ceramic tiles (big ones that match the rest of the bathroom) on to it. Each time they have slid off. Should I prepare the hardboard wall in some way. Is there a special glue.

Not tiling the wall is not an option at the moment.

Bes

Marnie

Reply to
marnie

First you need to brace the wall, hardboard is too flexible. Then coat with PVA 1:3 and allow to dry before tiling.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Scrub the HB with the roughest sandpaper you can aquire. In reality though, HB is not an ideal surface to try and tile to.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

OK, do you *really* mean hardboard? If so, that's really not an acceptable substrate - far too flexible for a start. Is this a stud partition wall, or what? Let's have some more details of the scenario and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

David

Reply to
Lobster

All large tiles will creep down the wall under their own weight, roughened wall or not. Best to batten the wall and tile upwards.

Does he really mean hardboard I wonder ..

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Don't tile over hardboard, it doesn't work, people put hardboard up to avoid having a wall plastered or dry lined, as you have already found out, it's false economy given that you'll have to re-tile it every twelve months instead of just using plasterboard once and then it's finished.

Reply to
Phil L