Hardboard

Any ideas or caveats please for glueing paper to hardboard?

I have an old Geographia street map (ca. 1960) which is failing by splitting along the folds. It has been stuck together with Sellotape, but even that's drying out. My idea is to glue the bits to a backing of hardboard (30" x 40") and carefully tease out the dog-eared edges. My concern is that if I was to use water-based adhesive, such as PVA, the hardboard may swell and curl. Possibly 3M spray photo adhesive?

TIA -

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Not exactly answering your question but: you used to be able to get a pot o= f 'map preserver', which purported to make maps more resilient to tearinget= c. at the folds. IIRC correctly it came in white pots, and you (probably) p= ainted it over the map, especially the seams. I don't remember the product = name, I afraid, but this might be a useful precursor to attempting to paste= d it down.

As for the actual pasting down, I'd probably try wallpaper paste, and exper= iment of a scrap piece of hardboard first.

Sellotape is a very poor choice for paper seam repair, BTW. You need proper= book repair tape.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jonnicoll11

IIRC [1] you can buy tempered hardboard, if not, then buy some good quality stuff, lay it flat on the floor and spray it with water and leave for around

24 hours - and taht should do the trick.

[1] Just recovering from my 5th blown fuse in the old brainbox 9stroke0 and the memory is a little shaky at the moment.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I wonder if hardboard is perhaps not the best material for a backing. Display photographs are mounted onto a much lighter (but equally) rigid foam-based board which is presumably designed to accept spray mount adhesive without distorting. You might be better off with something like that.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

A lot depends on whether the map has any sort of value or you just want to keep it while longer but hardboard is not a good substrate for long-term conservation, nor is wallpaper paste a great idea.

Have a look at a good picture frame suppliers, like Lion

They sell museum quality boards and adhesives (at a price). Nominally trade only and they have a minimum order by post but if you are near to one of their depots I?ve never been turned away

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Or here maybe?

Reply to
stuart noble

No real value - I just use it for reference when doing the family history/tree, but it would be nice to have it looking presentable as well as functional.

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

peel after about 18 months in my experience.

Reply to
John

yep 3M spray mount is the thing to use.

Reply to