Papering a hardboard ceiling.

I didn't know that you had to prime hardboard before papering so was very disappointed to find paper hanging down from the ceiling that I had lined the previous day. So I stripped it and washed it a painted it with acrylic primer and papered it again but the same thing has happened. Any ideas? Can you hang paper with PVA instead of paste?

Brendan.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

PVA would be worse, it lacks grab. I'd suspect the paste, faulty or too dilute perhaps.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can. but I don't understand why this is happening

Probably because neither the hardboard nor the primed hardboard were sufficiently porous to absorb the water out of the paste

Try much thicker paste..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The problem is that nothingmuch sticks to hardboard. I think there used to be some glue that did this kind of thing way back as we have some pieces of hardboard wedged in to make a curved ceiling at the eaves simply tapered, and its got paper stuck on it very well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mmm. It was a watery mix. Maybe I'll give it a coat of emulsion first then try again with thick paste. But I'll do it first with a sample piece.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

It needs a coat of size. Or PVA to seal the surface. Keep applying coats until it has a shiny finish.

harry

The problem isn't too much suction it is not enough suction. I want the opposite of size or PVA.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

There used to be 2 types of hardboard; Normal and Oil-Tempered. I wonder if the Oil has some effect on adhesion.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

No, the paste is failing because the water is being sucked out of it.

New plaster has to be sized before wall paper can be pasted to it.

Reply to
harry

The water leaving is normal drying process, I'm not seeing how that can be the problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The paste is sucked out of the paper which then falls off.

Read this. #

Any porous surface needs to be rendered impervious to prevent this. You can use "size", PVA or keep applying coats of paste (letting dry between) until you get a shiny surface.

Reply to
harry

That would be my guess. An oily surface is basically hydrophobic, it won't want to bond to the polar ends of PVA or cellulose paste.

Reply to
newshound

An interesting idea, but since I had no trouble papering onto an untreated very absorbent surface last time I doubt it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If that's the problem a good solution may be to coat it with oil based undercoat, brushing it well. It's compatible with small amounts of oil & provides a water stickable surface.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's factual information. If you're too thick to understand it, tough shit. My father was a painter & decorator BTW.

Reply to
harry

My last wallpapering job proves it's not. I see you missed that. Bye.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Harry

Please don't spoil my thread.

Thank you.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Update: I tried it on a small piece of hardboard. First acrylic primer, then emulsion then I papered it with a stiff paste and it stuck, though not convincingly, it peeled off without any threat of tearing but it was good enough. So I papered the ceiling for the third time and AAAAAARGH! it's all hanging down again. Soon it's going to be me hanging from that ceiling.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Just work out a way for that to be the intended effect. Call it Mountaintex or something.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've stuck all of the loose paper up with PVA, no problem, I should have done it long ago.

Reply to
Rednadnerb