Least preferred DIY tasks

I was going to say most hated but it's supposed to be an enjoyable and rewarding pastime!
My 2 least favourite are,
Core drilling, this must be like the way women forget childbirth, you attack it with optimism and get reminded that is a messy, noisy, painful job taking hours.
Drawer runners, I don't know about anyone else but I start off with the best of intentions, measuring and marking accurately. Then revert to screw it on about right, see how far off it is then move it.
R D S wrote:

I recently installed a B&Q "pan drawer" unit, the instructions warned that they were in process of modifying the unit, so the pre-marked/drilled holes on the drawer-fronts might not match with the unit, so to measure and drill them to a given pattern ... even after following their revised instructions the bottom of the drawer-front didn't line up with the bottom of adjacent units and the drawers fouled on each other and it was necessary to work out the offsets to allow them to fit properly and evenly.
Any company worth its salt would organise the items so one complete unit contained one design and not a mixed up mash of several. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff wrote:

But you can order different doors and drawer front styles with the base units.
On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 13:14:17 UTC, R D S wrote:

Laying tiles on a bathroom floor
Jonathan
All tiling is one of those jobs you need to use the Irish approach, Wherever you start, an expert walks in and stroking their chin, says, If I were doing that I'd no start from here. Brian
--
----- --
On 14/11/2018 17:23, Jonathan wrote:

Painting window frames. I'm thankful the current house has UPVC windows and doors.
Mike
Drain cleaning and attempting to correct shortcomings in the design of flatpack furniture after a couple of years when the centre drawer support fixings come away from the top of the unit due to being just glued on and a tiny screw inserted. Do they think we all keep very light stuff in drawers? Brian
--
----- --
On 14/11/2018 13:14, R D S wrote:

sanding filler.
kind word alone.

Use the correct material and tools and little if any sanding is needed.
On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 23:16:20 UTC, Andrew wrote:

I'd also hate sanding filler, if I needed to I'd know I goofed and was doin g work not needed. If you need to sand a plaster/paint lip off before filli ng, I've found scraping is quicker.
My most hated work is 2 or 3 floors up on a ladder. Ugh. Second most dislik ed is work with an apprentice. Often it's fine, sometimes it so isn't. 3rd most disliked is when I know it's going to take an annoyingly long time, an d annoy everyone else. Unblocking a foul drain is no paradise, but I know a t least it won't take too long. I try not to make a habit of it.
NT

I'll get in first before anyone else mentions it:
Saniflo!
I've never had the pleasure, but it appears the uk.d-i-y FAQ on this is the standard reference work whenever anyone on the internet expresses intentions of installing one.
Theo
R D S expressed precisely :

Painting - gloss, emulsion, you name it I hate doing it. I just lack the patience needed.
On 14/11/18 20:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

+1, but more than the painting it's the bloody preparation involved - sanding, cleaning, masking, and then cleaning up. And when it's done, it still looks awful. (I prefer wallpaper, but it was made for walls which are straight, true, flat, and at 90 degrees at corners. These things are rarer than hen's teeth...)
--

Jeff

On 14/11/2018 22:37, Jeff Layman wrote:

One thing I learnt early on doing DIY is never pick wallpaper with a strong linear pattern unless you want to show that walls are NOT "straight, true, flat, and at 90 degrees at corners".
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

the otehr thing is to pick real wallpaper - not wall covering. Paper will stretch to fit - the platic suff doesn't, Very obvious in an older house.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 15/11/2018 09:05, charles wrote:

Recently I've being using paste the wall paper (which doesn't stretch) which I've found makes papering much easier. The one thing to watch with this method is that the walls need to be sized thoroughly, irrespective of the wall finish, and to use a heavy duty paste sold for the purpose. The use of a large roller for sizing/pasting makes the task quick.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Jeff Layman was thinking very hard :

I love papering, luckily our walls are pretty straight and square. I'm just hopeless at cutting in with a brush with gloss and I never mastered the art of painting a ceiling.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Stripping emulsioned woodchip off a ceiling using a steamer was pretty unpleasant, rivalled only by the subsequent recovering with lining paper.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 15/11/2018 13:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:

My worst DIY was stripping distemper from walls and ceilings in a couple of rooms. It had been applied very thickly probably some time prior to 1940. I found the only effective way was to soak it with water using a garden sprayer and then scrapping off the resultant chalky gungy sludge. I finished off the remnants by applying an stabilising solution designed for exterior dusty bricks prior to painting.
As for lining paper on the ceiling I would now recommend paste the wall and using fibreliner paper.
Pasting the ceiling takes the weight off the paper when hanging so its feasible to use paper 1m wide rather than the standard 0.52m wide. No more trying to hold a heavy wet bundle of paper above your head.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-wallrock-fibreliner-wallpaper-white-1000mm-x-20m/1506p
I have a couple of cut down scaffolding boards that are the full width of the room supported on trestles for papering ceilings. This allows me to walk the width of the room unrolling the dry paper as I go and at the same time as initially brushing it flat to the ceiling.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk