Clamp together waterproof Box - Attempt #2

So now Roger has solved his problem, which seems quite different from my original question, perhaps we can return to what I was originally asking !!!!

External I/P cameras have a short umbilical cord with a power connector, a reset button, and a CAT5 socket, all too short to get into a building and are thus exposed to the rain etc.

Up until now I've used a bit of 50 mm sleeving with everything poked inside and the ends turned over and held with ty-wraps. Doesn't look professional and is not really storm or spider proof.

The various bits are obviously too large to get through a waterproof cable gland, so is there some sort of two part shell box that can be clamped round the bit's to keep out the weather?

(Request prompted by yet again having to climb the lamp post to dig the will life out of the cat5 socket !)

A telecom in line box was suggested (before the thread got hi-jacked), and looks ideal but wasn't quite big enough to house the CAT5E in line socket and associated plug.

Any further on topic suggestions would be appreciated.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Gel-filled box? e.g.

Andy Burns

More variations ...

Andy Burns

Interesting. I have a slightly similar problem, the largest looks as though it might just do. I wonder if it is practicable to open them up and alter or add a connection.

Reply to
newshound

Those look ideal if the size is right, but very oddly they are greyed out and I cannot pull up the details. Maybe one needs to log in or something ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How big is the socket? (got a photo?)

Outside power boxes are sure to be large enough (but probably too large), e.g:

The wires etc lay in place and the lid seals them with a compressible rubber seal.

Alternatively would one of the underground cable joint enclosures be big enough?:

John Rumm

Try:

John Rumm

I'm coming in late to the party but I mount my cctv cameras on the lid of a weatherproof electrical box, pass the stub cable through a hole in the lid with silicon sealant. The box is attached to the wall, cat5 cable brought in through a snug hole and terminated into appropriate connectors. Make connections and fit lid to box. Job done. My units fit to 100 x 100 x 85 boxes at about £4 each from eBay but other sizes are available.

Reply to
Cynic

Mine are already installed and clamped to the side of cast iron lamp posts, so good as your solution is, not one I can use.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks, yes that link works. Odd that the previous one showed me the items but they were greyed out - puzzling !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes a bit chunky, but a good idea, thank you. I think that the gel filled box approach is the way to go.

I'm tempted to 3D print something custom sized in Pet-G, and Gel fill it as it's apparently available in a

300 mL cartridge.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Toolstation have some relatively cheap stuff claimed as weatherproof rather than waterproof, e.g.

and you could add your own gel

newshound

Another good idea - thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Any old JB and

invalid

The sizes of those gel filled boxes are quite small, as I have an idea as to what you want them for. I can't see them being big enough to house a cat5 socket and plug, as well as any other cable you may want to use.

I have some IP66 metal boxes from B&Q of which the bottom half is fastened to the wall, and the cat5 cable comes up through 1 hole and the cat5 socket comes up through the adjacent hole into the box. I then wrap some ruberised tape around the joint, screw the lid on, and that's the job done.

Reply to
RobH

Not sure whether CPC's PL1020887 or PL13381 would work. I think it fails on aesthetic grounds, but might be spraypainted?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Did you look at the second link I gave to the raytech site? some of those look larger

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wonder how the two packs compare to the single pack stuff like this.

I can see that the 2 packs like this are great for potting, fine if you can work with the box in the right orientation before you fit it, but perhaps the cartridge (or tub) ones might be better if you have a box already fitted to a vertical surface, then you fit the wires, then you apply the gel.

Or is this cartridge one very runny when it comes out (so that it might drain away in the situation I describe above).

I guess you could wire up one of those rectangular type boxes horizontal, fill with either type, and then only screw to the wall when the gel is set.

I have a job to do for which these should be ideal (currently temporarily taped as I need to add another extension).

Reply to
newshound

Do you mean this one :

I does actually say on the FF tab mini gelbox Archive, and when I looked at the Gel Box Line, there are no sizes for it, well non that I could see.

Reply to
RobH

Yes

If you drill-down to the different types, the photos show you whether they're for e.g. single wagos, lumps of choc-bloc or multiple wagos

There are PDFs which give dimensions

Reply to
Andy Burns